2020-07-01 14:52:36

Hi,
firstly, thank you so, so much for this.  I've been wanting to play Magic for literally years. 
Kind of disappointed in the magic card database though, you seem to have to click on every card to view it's details.  Unless I'm missing something?  The yugioh one you can easily view everything without clicking around. 
Will let you know my findings later. smile

2020-07-01 14:59:08

I don't have a problem with the card database, mostly because I just use the search function to find individual cards anyhow. It's less necessary now than a while back when mana costs weren't readable in the forge app itself.

2020-07-01 15:00:15

So um... I feel like an idiot, but the snapshot appears to be a tar.bzt file or something similar.  I've nevver seen one like this before, so how to I get it to run?  I've tried extracting with no dice.

2020-07-01 15:01:28

would it be able to make the UI usable without making use of only the object navigation of nvda? else, keep up the good work. thanx a lot for this. i could not really manage to start a mach, because lol i don't know what toclick and what not to click, but i'm sure this will be improoved.
Does this game have an auto updater? the reason why i am asking is because i want to know when there's a new snapshot available as soon as possible. i could also just check the forum and the git thingy, but yeah.

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2020-07-01 15:02:02

@28 try using a tool like 7 zip you can find it at 7-zip.org if i am not mistaken.

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2020-07-01 15:04:52

So how would I go from starting the game up to playing a match then?

Currently got the Lclick for avatar bit up and dunno what to do from there

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2020-07-01 15:05:05

dan_c,

A .tar.bz2 file is just an archive, like .zip. If you grab WinRar, 7ZIp, or any other programs, you can just extract it to a folder like c:\forge, and from there you can run forge.exe.

ashleygrobler04, I will definitely try to improve the navigation experience. There is an updater program but it isn't automatic. There are new snapshots released every day. I will post in this thread if I make any accessibility fixes.

2020-07-01 15:06:10

Hi,
thanks for that, a bit of experimenting let me figure this out after sending that.

2020-07-01 15:08:27

JaceK,

You need to navigate the screen a bit using NVDA commands, like insert+numpad 4 and 6, or NVDA-shift-arrow keys, depending on whether you have a numpad or not.

The home screen is a bit confusing, but you basically have a choice of a few different types of match, by default you start with a basic "constructed," deck game. IF you use NVDA navigation you'll realize there are two players, one human and one AI. There is a button at the bottom which is used to actually start a match. Deck selection is a bit odd, but you basically just click on the current deck and can then choose a source for the new one, like pre-constructed or a randomized one.

2020-07-01 15:37:45

Hi Zkline!
Where can i find the updater-programm for the snapshots? Is it allready included or do i have to download it manually?

2020-07-01 15:43:23

Firefly,

THe updater is just an item in the Game settings menu. It downloads a temporary archive which you can just extract/override. You go to "Game settings," then "Content downloaders," and the updater is in there.

2020-07-01 15:46:50

Zkline, thanks so much for this awesome news! I got the latest snapshot, the preferences file you have provided, then i downloaded golden cursor for NVDA since i'm using the same resolution as you, and would like to know how to use this gc file with golden cursor. I didn't find a way to add the file to golden cursor's database.
thanks, I can't wait to start learning how to play magic!!!

contact info
email:
matrheine at gmail . com

2020-07-01 15:47:55

I've always wanted to play the game, all though i don't really understand the install instructions. Can you even put a folder in appdata?

Who am I? Simply me!

2020-07-01 15:51:58

Drg,

You put the file in %appdata%\nvda\add ons\golden cursor\mouse positions, or something like that. It should just work if it's in the right place. The other thing you need to do is to maximize the Forge window. Finally, you need to turn on an option in VNDA preferences to have the review cursor follow the mouse, though I forget the name of it at the moment.

The options are a bit weird, but basically the numbered ones are the ones yoou'll use most often. I didn't actually create his file, it was done by a sighted Forge user, so things can certainly be renamed and improved.

2020-07-01 15:53:34

jescat277,

You don't put the folder in app data, the game does that automatically when you run it for the first time. You just put the files in the right places and restarts nd it works.

2020-07-01 16:11:02

I've got everything up and running. Is there any advice as to where to begin as a complete newbe? I see there are many different styles of matches, as well as a quest and puzzle mode or something. I guess what I'm asking, is where should I begin reading up on how to play?

The universe is a rain storm. We are droplets sent to quench the problems of the world, yet we are blown sideways by the winds of distractions.

2020-07-01 16:18:12

sneak,

I'm not the best person to give actual Magic advice, but if you learn the rules of the game you can maybe start with one of the welcome decks. In the "Constructed," match type, you can set each player to use a different deck, and if you search for "welcome," you'll find decks from last year which have different combinations of colors and abilities.

Just make sure to use NVDA's mouse movement commands a lot to click on things. It gets easier with practice.

2020-07-01 16:38:15

@everyone, Using golden cursor will save you a lot of time, because as soon as the mouse is placed somewhere, then your nbda object navigation focus jumps to there, so you can continue going left and right using nvda+numbpad 6 and 4
@zkline
Which resolution is this golden cursor file for? I don't think the game supports 1920x1080, It supports 3 resolutions, which you can set with the alt menu key.  also is it for maximized client or normal?

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2020-07-01 16:41:30

This file is just for the screen resolution of 1920x1080, I didn't touch the  game's resolution because i didn't understand what it did, exactly.

2020-07-01 16:52:36

I will delete it.

meow meow.

2020-07-01 16:54:35

PatrykK

Your loss. I said I intend to offer a demo at some point soon, and was happy to help as much as I can.

2020-07-01 17:14:05

@zkline
IF i'm not mistaking, then  the default client resolution is 800 times 600, no matter what your resolution is, So it should work for everyone i think!
Thanks for all the work you've done for this client! You've done three big fixes so far! The mana cost being very important, Cause it didn't use to say it in text form.

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2020-07-01 17:45:49

Thanks for your great work zkline. I will definitely need to take a look at this at some point since it has pre-constructed decks, I'm too lazy to construct my own smile.

Host of Sightless Fun, podcast about visual accessibility in modern Board Games.

Follow on Twitter

2020-07-01 18:03:27

Ertay and all,

I want to play this game which is one reason I work on it so readily. smile

I'm partial to draft decks, as it's a whole mini game on its own, but I can definitely appreciate the appeal of pre-constructed ones. There are several hundred to choose from in addition to unlimited numbers of randomized ones smile

2020-07-01 18:12:17

hI:

I'm thinking of trying this, but my screen resolution would seem to be too low; mine is 13 x768. Can I still try to run the game?

When the wandering fire strikes the heart of stone, will you follow? Will you take ... the longest road?
Guy Gavriel Kay

discord: tayo134