2020-09-27 21:40:18

I have no idea, that's also a Stewie question.  I haven't seen Liam play, but it's quite possible that if he's played a lot, he no longer needs those descriptions.  Alternatively, if he hasn't played a lot, he has yet to realize that they're critically important (playing defend against Gremlin Nob is an amusing way to get yourself killed).

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-09-27 22:26:40 (edited by stewie 2020-09-27 22:34:29)

@camlorn just to clarify, the block 3 when reading enemy names means the enemy has 3 block, not the player. I intentionally haven't made everything the enemy does read because it would in some cases take forever. For example there is an enemy that attacks 15 times in sequence and there isn't an easy way to combine them into a statement saying that due to how the game's code is structured. I plan to make this a bit better later on, maybe with some config options. Also as far s I know my mod reads all of the attack names that are visible.

@defender I'm working on figuring something out for enemy/card art descriptions, it may take time though.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2020-09-27 23:08:40

I believe the mod reads the enemy intentions as "strategic, agressive and cowardly" in addition to giving an explanation (this enemy is planning to use a debuff).
The full name of the attack is read when it happens on the enemies turn.

2020-09-27 23:52:44

For what it's worth I'm reasonably sure the game doesn't show sighted players more.

If you're wondering how to play the thing, it's a memorization, probability, and planning game.  Dying isn't losing.  It's being able to learn more about the environment.  The game seems unfair, but actually it's merely impossibly difficult.  Spoilers below here:

Take Sentry as an example.  It's an act 1 elite.  There's 3 common act 1 elites, so you know that if you take an elite it's going to be 1/3 of the time.  But to find that out you need to have played floor 1 a few times so that you've seen all the elites.  it's always a group of 3, and they take turns alternating middle for 9 damage, outer two for 9 damage, for a 9, 18, 9, 18 damage pattern.  Furthermore whichever one isn't attacking is putting dazed in your draw pile, which means that eventually you'll have more dazed (unplayable card) than anything, which means that the fight is effectively time limited: eventually you'll barely be able to play cards, then you die.  My Ironclad strategy is cleave plus killing the one on the left (which gets you to 9, 9, 9, which can be handled with defend +), fire breathing and holding out until the deck is full of dazed (if you have that card dazed does damage and they die in like 1 or 2 turns of full cards), or getting really, really good defense.

Knowing the other two elites on floor 1 and having strategies for them as well then turns into a "should I go after an elite floor or not" answer, depending on what you got on the first few floors and if you think your deck is strong enough to deal with it.  However the downside is that some relics are stupidly powerful, and you only get them reliably from elites, so if you don't then by floor 3 you're falling behind.  But the point is, it's not about letting the game tell you things, it's about knowing what cards and relics might be available to your character, and what the patterns are.  We don't get significantly less information than the sighted, in fact I don't think we really get anything they don't get at all at this point.

There's 3 bosses per floor, once you know those the game turns into "I have 14 floors to plan" and so on.

Explaining this kind of makes me want to stream it, maybe I'll look into doing that once work slows down.  I don't win often, but i can reliably make it to act 2 and semi-reliably act 3 on Ironclad, and until I switched off Silent and started mastering Ironclad, Silent would usually die halfway up act 3 for me.

My Blog

2020-09-28 00:09:53 (edited by stewie 2020-09-28 00:30:31)

Regarding strategies, don't be afraid to attempt nonconvensional ones. Treat hp as a resource to be spent, for example it's often better to just not defend on the odd numbered (9 damage) phases of the sentries fight and gain block on the 18 damage phases. This is because in the long term you defeat a sentry more quickly, preventing more dazeds being being added to your dek and taking less damage overall.

After one sentry is down, keep track of which one is not attacking this turn and kill that one first.Since you're garunteed to take damage from the one that is going to attack in the short term (unless you get ridiculously lucky with some ards/relics) then taking out the non-attacking one is better for the long term.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2020-09-28 01:24:20

I thought I was starting to get a handle on the game myself.  I could beat the game pretty consistently on ascention 0 and 1, then I unlocked act 4, and wow, what a slap in the face that was!
My point being there will be times when you feel really confident and then something will happen to make you feel really stupid, but try to learn at least one thing from every game you play and it will get easier.
Also, I highly recommend people disable all character mods until act 4 has been unlocked.  I was unable to unlock it myself until I disabled them then beat the game with all four characters again.

@Stewie;  Great job on this little mod. It's fantastic!

I'm probably gonna get banned for this, but...

2020-09-28 07:20:08 (edited by ogomez92 2020-09-28 07:23:05)

I have been waiting to play this for so long and now I found out you can only play with a controller?
Seriously...

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2020-09-28 09:01:33

Well, @ogomez92 keyboard support is coming soon but for me it is not a huge deal. Most of people are using controllers in these days (I mean, most people who plays games) and in my opinion controller is one of the best (if not the best) way to play games. When there's controller / keyboard support I always pick gamepad! smile

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2020-09-28 09:14:46

what kind of controller do I need for this, anyway? I never got around to getting one, and I have no idea of any brands I could get.

2020-09-28 10:12:37 (edited by Lirin 2020-09-28 10:12:57)

Something what can support XImput so my recomendations? X360, xbox one or PS4 (DS4 - dualshock4)

Twitter
Add me on Steam

2020-09-28 11:25:10

so do I need to get a specific kind of xbox gamepad or will any kind work? And how do they connect to the computer? Via bluetooth or wireless USB adapters

2020-09-28 11:52:26

Hi.
Do i need to use nvda if I want to play this game by using say the spire.
Is it working with jaws also?

2020-09-28 14:37:53

As I said earliel regarding what kind of controller you need. Xbox controllers are automatically detected when you plug in (wired one) to your USB port. No idea what about wireles.
PS4 one (Dualshock4) is detected when the steam is enabled but not all games are working with it. You need a ds4 windows program to emulate the xbox controller which works with DS4 one what I am using currently.

Twitter
Add me on Steam

2020-09-28 15:45:56

The modern wireless Xbox controller just connects over bluetooth, and is probably what you want in general for modern games.  Thank Microsoft for deciding that Direct Input is deprecated and here's an entirely incompatible API.

Stewie has already said keyboard is coming.  He can probably give a better explanation of the difficulty, but the game itself has no keyboard support whatsoever.  It's only mouse and gamepad.  SO getting keyboard support is going to require that he implement it from scratch via a mod, which is the kind of thing we call extremely difficult.

My Blog

2020-09-28 16:12:35

What sort of game is this? theirs a lot about the accessibility, and nothing on what the game actually is.

2020-09-28 16:30:47

@#65 is it really that hard to find out anything about the game? There are links and for the Steam site too so you will get the answer. In short it is a deck building rogue-like cards game.

Twitter
Add me on Steam

2020-09-28 16:33:43

@65
Google it.  This is a game for the sighted that he made accessible, not an audiogame, there's plenty of info out there on it.  I'd give a better explanation, but it's really hard to describe.  Put card games, rpgs, and roguelikes in a blender and mix on high.

My Blog

2020-09-28 16:36:55

I'll have to check it out.

2020-09-28 19:32:37 (edited by mojsior 2020-09-28 19:35:59)

Hi.
Somethink strange was happened I have played a steam version of this game with text the spire mod and I have unlocked all three characters.
I have installed the same steam version after windows format and after selecting play and clicking on first mode I see that I have unlocked only first character, so I dont understand why I dont have my unlocks.
By the way I have found a way how run this game by using simplest way and how disable and enable mods in accessible way.
After installing all mods go to the directory where steam edition of this game is installed.
Create a destop shortcut for MDSlauncher.jar file, because I am running this game with using this file.
After that run this shortcut
If you want to disable or enamble mods you need to install objpad adddon for nvda.
This addon will aloow you to click on checboxes and disable or enable mods.
When this launcher is opened press contro plus nvda plus tab  in order to switch obpad to scanning mode.
And use up and down arrows to navigate to the mods list find a checkbox of each and press spacebar to disable or enable it.
Than use ctrl plus nvda plus tab to return to normal mode and hit play if you are sure that base mod, communication mod and say the spire mod is enabled.

2020-09-28 20:07:49

Does this game use any of the less common buttons? I have a fight stick and would love to use that to play, but my fight stick only emulates the face and shoulder buttons, it won't do the l3/r3 style buttons (I'm not sure if Xbox has these).

Spill chuck you spots!

2020-09-28 21:16:47

@mojsior Sorry, I should have put this in the readme but I've only encountered this problem once; I didn't think it would be an issue in future. Apparently if you don't launch the game from steam directly (either from the steam program or the start menu shortcut for a game), it won't interact with Steam's cloud API. If you're running the game via Mod the Spire which is a separate program, it doesn't automatically upload your data to the steam cloud. Therefore when you switched computers it used old steam cloud data. To fix this in future, run the game independently and use OCR to upload data whenever you want to transfer computers or back up.

@Xvordan You will need the right stick in order to access the mod's buffer and map viewing systems, unless you can find a way to remap. You need something for navigation (either left stick or d-pad), the four face buttons and four triggers, another button for settings, another button for a map key, and a right stick click and movement. Eventually you will need to be able to map something equivalently to pressing in the left stick, too.

2020-09-28 21:31:29 (edited by mojsior 2020-09-28 22:10:34)

hmm do i need to hit play with mod option every time when I want to play with mods
If I understand correctly I need to run the game from desktop if I want to synchronize my score with steam cloud.
I have dowload a cmd file  but it looks that it run mds launcher.

2020-09-28 22:09:18

You do if you're launching it from within the steam window.

2020-09-28 22:41:08

@stewie Ah boo. I guess I'll actually have to plug in my DS4 then. My fightstick can emulate the left/right stick, but only with a switch toggle, and I have a feeling playing it like that's going to be awkward at best. Thanks for the response.

Spill chuck you spots!

2020-09-28 23:25:15 (edited by Agent47 2020-09-28 23:25:37)

hi, don't fucking tell me that the game is not free

"But did you, in your three-piece psychology and 1950's technobrain,
ever take a look behind the eyes of the hacker?  Did you ever wonder what
made him tick, what forces shaped him, what may have molded him?"