2021-05-21 18:08:06

I've got to ask, would it be possible to set up a temp registration system? Perhaps with PMs, or E-mails? Having the Admins do a quick Turing interview/IP check to determine Suitability? You'd just need to alter the alert at the top of the page with instructions for prospective users.

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"

2021-05-21 19:21:59

Sadly we can't do that, as we can't go in and manually register users.

2021-05-21 19:26:47

You don't have to though, you let them register just like they did before, but they don't post in the restricted users topic. It's convoluted and strange though.

2021-05-21 19:32:43

It is so strange. I know that we're receiving errors across various parts of the site. But for the first time, I receive that the government of India has blocked this site, and after I reloaded, everything was fine.

So what? Did the government blocked it for a second?

To be honest though, I wouldn't put it past some bureaucrat to do something like that.

2021-05-21 20:01:48

@29
Probably something temporary because this is behind cloudflare.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2021-05-21 20:24:57

Jack, do you at least have FTP access to the directory that forum.audiogames.net is hosted from? There is an extension that will let you do exactly that.

2021-05-21 22:01:56

Not Jack, but I wish. If this were the case we'd actually be able to upgrade the PM extension, among other neat things.

By the way, I actually think Jase has something. I'm floating a proposal by the team, but I'm reasonably confident that it could work. More info, or "OK I was wrong" hopefully to come.

2021-05-22 20:25:39

At the time of this writing, the webmasters are in conversations with us over email. So without going into too much detail for now, they are aware of our open letter. One way or another, things will be happening.

2021-05-22 21:31:28

That's excellent news. I'm happy that they came back. That's a step in the right direction

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2021-05-22 21:47:12

Yeah. Now they just have to stay.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2021-05-22 22:18:56

That's a pretty big leap though. Responding to a letter isn't exactly coming back. One would hope that they would, and things could continue as normal, with them fixing things as they crop up, but I still have my doubts that will happen.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-05-22 22:38:48

It's a step in the right direction at least, and I'll take that over nothing at all.

2021-05-22 22:40:31

aWait how are people getting omg the webmasters are coming back, from they are in talks and we can't go into detail?

That seems a huge reach to me if I'm reading Jack's post right?

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2021-05-22 23:13:51 (edited by Jaseoffire 2021-05-22 23:15:37)

I mean, it's still good news. I wouldn't call that coming back, but taking notice is at least what happened. To be honest, I had a small nagging that they may have forgotten this forum exists. So, this at least means they should make some sort of move. No matter what happens now, something should come of it. Unless someone really drops the ball here, of course. But knock on wood, everything should go smoothly.

I have a website now.

2021-05-22 23:15:50

Um, come on guys.  I'm basically known for being negative but what's with putting them down?  This is good news whether they come back or not because only complete assholes will take down their 20-year-old forum with a ton of user content for which there is no replacement rather than handing it off or keeping it going.  The absolute worst case is status quo.

They have no obligation to do anything because they're running this for free.  They ran it for a very, very long time without getting anything in return.  It's likely literally half of their adult lives.  It's longer than many programmer careers from start to retirement.  No one here has the right to get mad or passive aggressive.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2021-05-22 23:36:21

I don't think it's being overly negative suggesting that just because a dialog has begun, that doesn't necessarily mean they're coming back. In my case, I'm not mad, because I get that people change. You're not the same person at 35 than you are at 20. The only real gripe I have regarding this issue is how the ball was dropped once they realized they were not willing or able to commit to working on the site anymore.

No, they are certainly not under any obligation to keep this place running indefinitely, but the responsible thing to do would have been to communicate their future unavailability to their staff. Further, if time were a factor, then why upgrade us to panBB, which was a lateral movement in the best case, and a downward movement in the worst. All the errors we've been seeing over the past year or two are related to that.

If I was hosting a community project and I found myself unable or unwilling to continue with it, I would put the word out. Basically saying look, if anyone would like to volunteer to step up to the plate and continue maintaining this, please get in touch, otherwise, I will have to shut it down. But it took until the staff basically said look, we need some sort of communication from you guys, or we'll step down from our positions because it's not worth the time sink.

With that said, we do owe them a debt of gratitude because they have kept this place running for so long. And we all make mistakes. Just because I feel that they weren't as communicative as they could have been about their diminishing level of time and commitment doesn't mean they aren't deserving of praise for all the things they have done for us.

So yes, this does indeed seem to be a step in the right direction. But I think it's reaching just a bit to claim that they're coming back because they've responded to the letter. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-05-23 00:22:37

To expand on Jack's post a little bit, they have by no means forgotten about a project into which they poured quite a few unpaid hours. In fact, it's still listed under pretty much everything Creative Heroes.

They share our concerns and have expressed an interest in exploring potential solutions. Bunch of logistics, so this part is bound to take a little while, but we'll post here with the occasional update.

Unfortunately the registration portion didn't make it into the letter, but a temporary fix is being thrown together in the meantime until we have more of a roadmap.

I'm entirely open to them focusing on other projects so long as we have the resources necessary to make changes. We also must ensure that there is a reliable, open line of communication should their input or expertise be of the essence. So essentially they aren't actually required to "come back" or work more into already busy schedules if that simply isn't an option.

2021-05-23 00:31:56

I'd like to quickly note another minor issue that's just about last priority, but exists all the same. Thestatus page that most here probably never knew existed has been broken for a good while.

2021-05-23 03:12:36

What does that page even do? Also, yeah, It's good to hear that things are being worked out. Logistics can be a major annoyance. Just so long as there's a way to fix things, that'll be good. Best of luck to you guys. Hopefully you can come up with a solution that at least makes everyone comfortable if  not happy.

I have a website now.

2021-05-23 18:51:47

hmm, that's nice, but err don't get me wrong, I really thing visiting to their created forum atleast twice in year is nececery, to check if somethings have damaged, if there's any error? and other stuff?
Yeah it's good that they responded, But If you'll disappear a decade and you'll to write a letter and say, Hey if you won't respond, we have to resign from staff, that's well not good.
Yeah I get it, they have family, they have more important things to do, but if you can't manage forum more often, you'll have to add a new, compitant, experienced one in webmasters lists.
NOTE:
With this post, I'm not make any offence of webmasters.

Yours kindly

2021-05-23 20:08:17 (edited by marko 2021-05-23 20:10:39)

Just a minute ago, a new forum error happened to me that i've never heard of before (i don't know if post one mentioned it) but the post 1 said something about a my sql error, and i don't know if this is the same error. When i opened a topic, i got the following message saying sorry! The base could not be loaded. It said something about an sql error and that i should check some manual...

Best regards: Marco

2021-05-23 20:10:22

@46, that's pretty common, actually. Usually it also means a topic has like two or more duplicate versions of itself.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2021-05-24 08:04:11

Well actually receiving a response meens a lot. Good job.

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2021-05-24 11:16:36

This is really great news, let's see what comes off this.
But I agree with the people who say a response doesn't automatically mean they're coming back. It is a step in the right direction, but there's a long way to go.

Greetings and happy gaming, Julian

If you say you never lie, you're a liar.
Oh, and #freeGCW

2021-05-24 15:16:01

I'm surprised they responded. A good step in the right direction.

If you found this post helpful, amusing or funny, please thumb it up!
To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.