2021-07-10 17:44:50

Taken from the readme:
You are battling in an endless area of space. Time cannot be estimated, and you are locked in infinite battle. How long can you last, before your ship is destroyed, and the spaceships invade your territory? How long can you keep up your defense before the boss spaceship appears and comes in to kill you? Will you have what it takes to max out your space ship's statistics, or will you die trying?
Space Defender is an arcade-like shooting game, in which you are required to bring down spaceships as they appear.
FEATURES:
- Battle spaceships in an endless dimension of space. Continue to earn points as you destroy oncoming spaceships, who will shoot lasers that have the power to kill you.
- Beat the boss. Meet the boss spaceship, who will be happy to shoot its powerful laser gun of mass destruction at you and destroy you once and for all. Destroying it will earn you extra points, as well as stars.
- Upgrade your ship. By defeating the boss or beating your high score, increase your level and earn stars to make your spaceship even stronger, meanwhile also causing your enemies to get stronger too. Increase your strength, your health, and defense, to make your enemies tremble before you.

If you would like to try out this game, you can get it from the following link:
http://tunmi13.ddns.net/projects/space_defender.zip

Let me know about any thoughts or suggestions that you may have.

-----
YouTube
GitHub
Discord: @tunmi13#1880

2021-07-10 18:24:10

Wow, that's quite alot of "Destroys" in there. Will check it out shortly.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2021-07-10 18:52:43

another space invaders game?  hmm.

2021-07-10 19:20:41

Good job! I didn't find any bug at the moment, so is's excelent! I suggest you add it more variability, such us more items, for example another laser type or bombs, other kinds of enemies and so on. But the difficulty level is very hart, so I suggest giving it an oportunity.

2021-07-10 19:56:43

Really neat game! Unfortunately it's... really hard for me right now. Probably because I'm not sure what is essential to upgrade first, but I'm liking it a lot. I'm starting to think strength is most important for the first few levels, but I keep hitting a point where I can't beat my high score and can't survive long enough to see the boss.

A few suggestions:
1. Instead of announcing when an enemy is about to die, have a high beep or something that accompanies the spaceship. That way you'll know precisely which enemies have low health. Perhaps make this toggleable in settings.

2. When an enemy stops moving, maybe have a quiet ping/beeping accompanying the spaceship to let you know there is a clear opportunity to shoot it. It might sound cheap and handholdy to do that, but dealing with two or more enemies on screen is not fun for me at present; I feel like I can't focus on anything and just have to avoid and shoot like mad and hope I get the upper hand.

3. When you hit a comet, I think the chime sound should stop. Also, when a speed boost is active, there should be a way to revert to normal speed, because bouncing around from side to side of the board without having any control over it has limited benefit imho.

Also, I'm not quite sure what defense is for. All it seems to be is an extra health bar to look after, unless I'm missing something? There's nothing wrong with that per say, it's just a bit redundant-looking.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2021-07-10 20:19:37

cool

2021-07-10 20:49:24

Ugh. I ended up just cheesing it and waiting for the first ship to sit around long enough so that the boss would appear. Killing him wasn't that hard though, and I was able to upgrade a lot from that. I'm starting to wonder if I'll have to keep doing it that way for a while though. If so, then that's either a really cool mechanic, or a balance issue.

2021-07-10 20:51:33

also, this game is not endlous unless those limits on both level and stats are removed

Suffering's what keeps me alive.
If one never suffers, one doesn't live propperly.
So embrace the pain, the suffering life has brought you and will bring you in the future

2021-07-10 20:54:45

@Musicalman:
Your feedback is appreciated. To answer your question, the defense stat is like your shield. The default starting value is 0. When you increase your defense, damage that would usually be dealt to your ship will land on your shield. If your defense falls to 0, your shield breaks, and all attacks will be directed to your ship normally.
I apologize about the health notifications not working in your favor. I can definitely create an option to alter the announcement of low health values.
Good luck.

-----
YouTube
GitHub

2021-07-10 20:55:46 (edited by tunmi13 2021-07-10 20:58:21)

@Fredd To clear your confusion up, endless is in terms of gameplay, not your statistics. However, if this confuses the masses I can change it, or if it doesn't fit the description.
@Musicalman: I apologize for not seeing your post. When I hit Submit on my last post, both your post and Fredd's post appeared. Yeah, that's definitely something I will need to fix. It is actually kind of hilarious just letting the ship sit there in hopes for the boss to appear. Thanks for the report.

-----
YouTube
GitHub

2021-07-10 21:02:38

tunmi13 wrote:

I apologize about the health notifications not working in your favor. I can definitely create an option to alter the announcement of low health values.

It's not really a problem, it just breaks the atmosphere a bit for me.
Right now the problem I'm having is that I can level up once, maybe twice, but the ships get too powerful for me and I have no idea how I'm supposed to beat my high score to get more stars. I've never seen the boss appear unless I've purposefully waited it out. But maybe I just suck lol

2021-07-10 21:07:55 (edited by tunmi13 2021-07-10 21:09:27)

Perhaps allowing a selection of difficulty would be beneficial? The normal mode, if this were considered normal, was designed so that ships would always be stronger than you. If people want, I can create an Easy mode in which ships are the same strength or lower, or perhaps a Hard mode where ships are overpowering. This would possibly help those who are struggling with this game. I believe post 4 was also saying something about the ships being a bit too strong for their taste.
This would not have any effect on the boss though, as the boss was specially designed to always be hard to defeat.

-----
YouTube
GitHub

2021-07-10 23:58:13

I'm getting 3 fatal errors when I run the game:
Fatal error detected  dialog  Failed to execute script sdefender

Fatal error detected  dialog  Error: module 'win32com.gen_py.C866CA3A-32F7-11D2-9602-00C04F8EE628x0x5x4' has no attribute 'CLSIDToClassMap'

Fatal error detected  dialog  Traceback: ['Traceback (most recent call last):\n', '  File "sdefender.py", line 1, in <module>\n', '  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 991, in _find_and_load\n', '  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 975, in _find_and_load_unlocked\n', '  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 671, in _load_unlocked\n', '  File "PyInstaller\\loader\\pyimod03_importers.py", line 531, in exec_module\n', '  File "lucia\\__init__.py", line 38, in <module>\n', '  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 991, in _find_and_load\n', '  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 975, in _find_and_load_unlocked\n', '  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 671, in _load_unlocked\n', '  File "PyInstaller\\loader\\pyimod03_importers.py", line 531, in exec_module\n', '  File "lucia\\output.py", line 21, in <module>\n', '  File "accessible_output2\\outputs\\auto.py", line 13, in __init__\n', '  File "accessible_output2\\outputs\\sapi5.py", line 37, in __init__\n', '  File "libloader\\com.py", line 16, in load_

Am I doing something wrong on my end?
Thanks in advance.

Heroes need foes to test them. Not all teachers can afford to be kind, and some lessons must be harsh.

2021-07-11 00:21:49

Hello SpiderManiac,
In the readme, there is a step by step guide explaining how to fix that error. For anyone else who may have this problem, please refer to the beginning of chapter 2 in the readme.

-----
YouTube
GitHub

2021-07-11 01:19:36

Perhaps you could implement a laser jammer upgrade which reduces the damage enemy ships do to you in general, and that would make things a little more level in harder difficulties in my opinion especially if ships get stronger as gameplay progresses anyway.

Though our eyes may fail, our ears prevail!
User Karma, every little helps

2021-07-11 01:32:16

@14 if your using accessible_output2 there is an updated version somewhere that takes care of that error. I say "somewhere" because I heard about it but I don't exactly know where it is

2021-07-11 03:40:34

Hi there. Well this is sad. I can't download the game. And I can't access your website as well. sad
Still, nice work. smile

2021-07-11 05:48:39

@tunmi13: Would you consider releasing a Linux version of the game?

My games: https://stormgames.wolfe.casa
Support my work on Ko-fi

2021-07-11 09:06:38

This game has balancing issues, I need to be able to get more stars even if I don't get more points than my high score because otherwise it is  impossible to beat. Enemires are taking way too much health from me. Btw, this game reminds me a lot of the old nebula iOS game.

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2021-07-11 09:50:40

I'll certainly try this game when I get the time, but the space invaders genre is the one genre which is in my opinion really oversaturated in audiogames.

Greetings and happy gaming, Julian

If you say you never lie, you're a liar.
Oh, and #freeGCW

2021-07-11 22:02:35

I feel like you should be able to earn more stars for higher point scores. Also there needs to be a way for bullets to NOT hit each other. I've discovered I can just sit in the middle of the field and hammer space and never, ever, EVER lose a single point of HP

Heroes need foes to test them. Not all teachers can afford to be kind, and some lessons must be harsh.

2021-07-11 22:21:33

There seems to be some kind of issue where the positions of bullets move with the ship that fired them. So I'll fire at an enemy ship, move and because there's a bullet occupying the position I moved to they'll intersect. I could just be imagining it or maybe the panning needs to be increased a bit. Also can you add continuous sounds for bullets that are currently on screen? Every single death so far has been me running into bullets I didn't even know were on screen.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2021-07-12 01:20:11

@21 I don't know if the score you get affects your stars or not. I really can't tell. But indeed you can just hammer the space bar and not get hit, which can build up the points quickly ish. I wouldn't advise it though since then you'l end up with scores which are practicallly impossible ot match if you had a lucky run.

@22 I've never had that problem. I'm not sure if the bullets actually follow the ship. They don't seem to, but I haven't paid it that much attention. Having a sound for the bullets may not be necessary though; I don't think bullets are actual projectiles in this game, they seem to be timers which determine if a fired shot will hit something. I could of course be wrong though.

Here's another barrage of ideas. This is just me musing, I'm not trying to change the game or anything, just throwing stuff out there which I think would balance it and make it more fun.

What I have the most trouble with is that the enemies seem, for lack of a better word, unintelligent. They just fire randomly every few seconds, and randomly decide when to move and when not to move. When there's two or three ships on the screen doing that, I can never tell when to shoot or avoid, or what to focus on, because it's just noise and movement. But if the randomness was tightened and replaced with more persistent behavior, that would help a lot. I dunno, maybe I'm missing the patterns of this game so that's why it seems random to me.

Another idea is that each ship sound could be associated with a different fighting style. One could periodically give chase to take a few shots and then run off for a cooldown period where you could then take it out, others could be stationary but teleport and fire every so often, and others could consistently move from side to side and fire wide shots, not really aiming for anything but still being heavy hitters if you're careless. Individual behaviors from these ships and more could then be combined to make new ship variations and bosses, and these could get increasingly complex as the level increases and that would make the game deep. The idea tohugh is to have more patterns to observe to build a strategy.

Speaking of levels, I thought of an idea where your level increases if you score above a certain point threshold. You could also get a certain number of stars for reaching that threshold. Receiving a reward for beating your high score could be baked into that in various ways too, but tbh I feel like that should be just a nice touch, rather than a necessary thing for progression.
Anyway I'll stop here before people tell me to shut up and make my own game lol

2021-07-12 01:54:49

Hi,
I do have a question as well. If I get to a certain point and I decide I'd like to completely start from scratch, what files will I have to delete or move, in case I wanted to try different builds? I noticed this time the settings menu doesn't seem to say anything about having an option to reset player progress/data.
edit: I might have found it, I think. There should be an extra file in the game's folder once you exit.

2021-07-12 04:28:57

Yes, if you delete game.data everything resets.