2021-07-12 11:17:53

So after playing for a while, I have some thoughts. Right now it's too easy to cheese the system, especially early on, by just destroying one or two more enemies then intentionally losing. So your first game destroy one enemy and die. Then destroy 2, then 3, and so on. I suggest making stars awarded based on the number of enemies defeated in a game, or based on the strongest enemy you defeated, rather than the high score. Right now doing really well in your first game or two can easily cause enemies to be so powerful that it's almost impossible to progress. Another way this could be fixed is make stronger enemies worth more points.
Second, I think the enemies scale too hard at the beginning based on player stats. I'd suggest starting enemies with 0.5*player health and 0.25*strength, and gradually increase from there.
Lastly, I'd suggest making the boss based on how many enemies have been defeated, rather than just player strength. Maybe something like player strength plus enemies defeated. Similarly, make the boss score something like 2*defeated enemies.

2021-07-12 12:48:44 (edited by Shiro 2021-07-12 12:49:14)

I do wish to play this game. Do you guys have any idea on why I can't visit his website? Thank you guys for the answer. smile

2021-07-12 14:54:58

I could never defeat the boss. how do you do it?

2021-07-12 17:43:42

Hello,

There's an error at startup, and I don't have any gen_py folder in %temp%.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "sdefender.py", line 2, in <module>
  File "main.py", line 16, in main.main
  File "updater.py", line 23, in updater.Updater.check_for_updates
  File "PySimpleGUIWx\PySimpleGUIWx.py", line 7733, in PopupYesNo
  File "PySimpleGUIWx\PySimpleGUIWx.py", line 7392, in Popup
  File "PySimpleGUIWx\PySimpleGUIWx.py", line 3070, in Read
  File "PySimpleGUIWx\PySimpleGUIWx.py", line 3092, in _read
  File "PySimpleGUIWx\PySimpleGUIWx.py", line 2975, in Show
  File "PySimpleGUIWx\PySimpleGUIWx.py", line 5442, in StartupTK
  File "PySimpleGUIWx\PySimpleGUIWx.py", line 4510, in PackFormIntoFrame
wx._core.wxAssertionError: C++ assertion ""((HWND)GetHWND())"" failed at ..\..\src\msw\window.cpp(1258) in wxWindow::GetLayoutDirection(): invalid window

There are 10 kinds of people : those who know binary, and those who don't.

2021-07-12 22:04:40

Quasar wrote:

Right now it's too easy to cheese the system, especially early on, by just destroying one or two more enemies then intentionally losing. So your first game destroy one enemy and die. Then destroy 2, then 3, and so on. I suggest making stars awarded based on the number of enemies defeated in a game, or based on the strongest enemy you defeated, rather than the high score. Right now doing really well in your first game or two can easily cause enemies to be so powerful that it's almost impossible to progress.

Huh, so intentionally dying with low scores does make a difference? I would've thought you wouldn't get enough stars to buy upgrades if you did that, but I never actually tried.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2021-07-13 03:41:47

A small recommendation, Avoid pySimpleGUIWx at all causts, Yes, It's easy, Yes, It's nice, But it's very buggy and the developers doesn't update it only once a year.

2021-07-13 11:32:11

Highscore stars is interesting, but not with a good motivation to play this game. I have a different idea. What You'll say folks, if those points won't points, but stars?
Idea of this game is good, but this, which this game was created is not so good.

Ja volim samo kafu sa Rakijom.

2021-07-13 15:45:16

@27 I have the same problem. I think it's because DDNS.net sites are blocked by my ISP.

#FreeTheCheese
"The most deadly poison of our times is indifference. And this happens, although the praise of God should know no limits. Let us strive, therefore, to praise Him to the greatest extent of our powers." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

2021-07-13 18:10:49

how do i get to level 50? i am level 7 and
Congratulations! You beat your high score of 51 points! Your new high score is now 270.

2021-07-13 23:51:58

@34 that's exactly the problem. Currently, the best way to get there is to intentionally die every time you boost your high score by a couple points. I'm hoping this gets changed in an update soon.

2021-07-18 02:36:22

Version 1.1 was just released. Hopefully this should provide a bit more balance. I've also done some work to the ships, they have one new behavior, with more on the way.

-----
YouTube
GitHub
Discord: @tunmi13#1880

2021-07-18 04:22:34

I just encountered a bug where I destroyed a ship, and a stationary one appeared, but no sounds played. A bunch of near miss sounds played and I could shoot the ship, but it eventually gave me a fatal error.

2021-07-18 05:15:28

Oops, that's totally my fault. Seems I didn't include the stationary ship's sounds. To anyone else experiencing this, hold off until I give the all clear.

-----
YouTube
GitHub

2021-07-18 15:34:32

The issue has been fixed. To anyone that got 1.1 before this post, please redownload the game using the link in post 1. Otherwise you can disregard this message and update normally if you are still running 1.0.

-----
YouTube
GitHub

2021-07-19 12:51:27

So, another bug has been found. I had a boss spawn, and right as the alert sounded I hit P to pause. It threw a bunch of fatal errors and crashed.

File "main.py", line 26, in main.main
  File "main.py", line 151, in main.mainmenu
  File "main.py", line 52, in main.settings
  File "main.py", line 55, in main.settings
  File "main.py", line 58, in main.settings
  File "main.py", line 135, in main.mainmenu
  File "main.py", line 41, in main.lgsmenu
  File "main.py", line 131, in main.mainmenu
  File "game.py", line 94, in game.game
  File "main.py", line 133, in main.mainmenu
  File "main.py", line 115, in main.upgrades
  File "main.py", line 88, in main.upgrades
  File "game.py", line 17, in game.game
  File "ship.py", line 86, in ship.shiploop
  File "lucia\audio\bass\soundpool.py", line 679, in destroy_sound
AttributeError: 'int' object has no attribute 'reset'
  File "main.py", line 26, in main.main
  File "game.py", line 83, in game.game
  File "lucia\audio\bass\soundpool.py", line 576, in pause_all
  File "lucia\audio\bass\soundpool.py", line 532, in sound_is_playing
  File "lucia\audio\bass\soundpool.py", line 527, in sound_is_active
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'is_playing'

2021-11-16 21:05:26

Hello all.
I know it's been quite awhile, but I am reviving this topic. I got back to working on Space Defender Sunday afternoon and am working to improve the game. The top priority here now is adding weapons. This will make it so you will be required to upgrade weapon strengths individually, so you'll have to decide which weapon you'll put more stars into. However, if there are any other suggestions let me know.

-----
YouTube
GitHub

2021-11-17 06:44:37

Did you fix the problem where it was impossible to get stars after a few good levels?

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2021-11-17 08:55:19

Also, I have updated this game, but It looks, like It doesn't updated properly, althought zip archive is still in game folder, but with incorrect update.
Please, how to fix It?
Thank You.

Ja volim samo kafu sa Rakijom.

2021-11-17 16:18:00

@Giovani Yes, that was an error in the client, it is fixed in 1.2.
@Oriol Could you please explain what you mean about how it's hard to get stars at higher levels? Is it the strength of the ships?

-----
YouTube
GitHub

2021-11-17 16:40:21

What Oriol means is that if you have had a good amount of kills your first play through the game, your following attempts won't be as good mostly because the damage is scaled extremely poorly. For instance, it takes like two shots later on for ships to kill you. Also the health scaling is... way too much. Last time I played it took like 30 shots to kill a single ship with all my points in attack, which meant that any time I got hit I was pretty much dead.
Also, consider increasing the speed of the game. It felt really slow and stagnant the way the bullets traveled. It became extremely difficult to dodge multiple projectiles because they moved so damn slowly without any indication that they were there. I would hear a ship shooting at me, move out of the way, only to be hit by a shot fired like 2 seconds ago.

2021-11-17 17:10:57

for level 3 I killed 100 ships. What the fuck, man, how many would I have to kill for 50?

2021-11-17 20:22:45

@Amerikranian I did restart the game and noticed what you and Oriol were saying. The ships are indeed hard as hell to destroy, either with your stats raised or not. I went in and adjusted the ships so they aren't power demons anymore so that should be fixed after this update.
Also, when you say bullets are too slow, this was meant so that you could dodge bullets a bit easier. I could increase it, but it wouldn't be by much.

-----
YouTube
GitHub

2021-11-19 10:39:50

@tunmi13: Thanks for adjusting the ships. I tried the game like three days ago, and gave up because of the extremely high difficulty level. I'll give the new version a try.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2021-11-20 01:09:49

the Updater don't seem to be working.

Blindness isn't a disability, but a diffrent way of seeing things

2021-11-20 12:03:35

Indeed. The updater is broken. It downloads version 1.0. The link in the first post does also download version 1.0. It's weird that version 1.1 is not updated in the official link.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen