2021-11-12 21:30:21

@24, can you PM me exactly what the script did in technical detail? I might be able to rig something up that's better and won't cause as much trouble.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2021-11-12 22:03:32

@Jack, the current server message suggests to use the alternative method, rather than explisitly stating that way of creating a new account is down.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2021-11-12 22:53:14

@JayJay: I see what you mean. I put in ***Registrations are currently down and will be back very shortly.***, meaning the temporary registration method was also down, but I can make that a little more clear. Will fix that if the registration server doesn't get fixed sooner. Things do seem to be looking up.

2021-11-12 23:06:33

@Ethin Check your pm's.

2021-11-13 01:26:17

Just about a month of downtime now. I happened to see a reddit thread where a dev was trying to post, but couldn't. The redirect we had set up for [email protected] has been broken for a couple weeks too, a fact of which I am just now being made aware. I'm going to take it upon myself to personally apologize for the inconvenience. Frankly speaking, this is a shitshow of astronomical proportions, and it reflects badly on the entire admin panel as well as our community as a whole. Give me a couple hours (max) and I'll set something up. It may not be pretty, but it'll damn sure be functional. Sorry guys, updates hopefully soon to come.

2021-11-13 02:52:01

Well, I'm sure we all know who's at fault for all this, don't we?
I think by new year of 2022, if we don't receive an indicator of action on part of the web masters, we might have no choice but to abandon ship.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2021-11-13 04:23:06 (edited by Ethin 2021-11-13 04:23:52)

Yeah this is utterly ridiculous. Webmasters, get off your lazy asses and do what is necessary to give the admins control of the entire website and domain. It would take you at most a day, and that's stretching things. There is no excuse for this level of laziness.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2021-11-13 04:48:45

I don't actually know whether the webmasters are aware of the problem, but they will be soon enough. For what it's worth the difficult part is behind us.

TL;DR: they're wanting to move servers so we can independently manage the site. We've gotten so far as choosing an OS and working out most of the logistics, but until then we hack our way through as best we can.

In other news, you should now be able to register using this link. Let me know if there are further issues.

2021-11-13 04:50:52

@33, Will the message at the top be updated with this link? People probably won't find the new link unless they know to come to this topic.

2021-11-13 04:50:59

Ok so, I'll go and use a phrase that has been said quite often the last few months. This is the official audiogames forum and the place where blind people meat to talk about games and where we start getting into the mainstream market. How much do we have to take untill someone decides to actually finally jump ship and get a new forum going? Registrations have been down for a month, all other places would have gotten a shitstorm already. We can't workk with unresponsive webmasters for much longer, one day this hole thing will fall apart, noone probably knows in what way, but it will eventually.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2021-11-13 04:57:49

@35, Who knows? Maybe if Carter's system decides to fail, we could start getting people to switch to blindgamers, but it would be something that we have to slowly start working on now, because it will take time, and you know that a lot of people will continue to be resistant to the change and will want to hang on to this forum.

2021-11-13 04:59:35

Discord's down, so I'm catching the most recent wave of activity through here, ironically so. I just updated the special registration link in the navigation bar, so it is now updated in both places. Everything is as it should be.
As ever a massive apologies once again for the inconvenience. Given this being the indirect culmination of what the forum's slow falling apart has led up to, we're grateful for there being action to get the relocation underway soon at long last.

2021-11-13 05:01:01

@34 Of course, you beat me to it. I figured I'd post here first. All is well now.

@35 Your anger is definitely warranted, I think this is as absurd as you do. Remember though that the impromptu registration system is one of the few things entirely under our control. So as much as I'd love to lay this on the shoulders of MIA hosts I can't rightfully do so. Granted, full access would mean we wouldn't be in this position in the first place, but hey.

2021-11-13 05:04:09

It's under your control, but it's a workaround that shouldn't need to exist and it needs to exist because of the hosts.

2021-11-13 05:04:56

@37 and @38, Will that registrations are down message be removed now that they've been fixed?

2021-11-13 05:05:10

@Rich_Beardsley: Keep in mind that it isn't just the forum. Blindgamers.community is a great place and it has no doubt been a venue for some very good progress for Discourse accessibility, however we still have the actual website to worry about. I for one would not be resistant to change, so much as I'm resistent to the idea of not having everything under one roof, which is why we're persistent on pursuing the relocation of the site.
@sightlessHorseman: You're absolutely right, and this is why I fear the worst when putting anything remotely close to mission critical in the hands of a Windows Server. It was what we had available at the time though (i.e. it was allready linked to a domain and operational), and it was either that or free and rate-limited Netlify. Fortunately the relocated registration system is on a better environment anyhow, so this should never happen again up until our server move is complete.

2021-11-13 05:09:17

I wasn't saying you necessarily, but the group of people who insist on staying the same.
And if the web masters don't step up and do what they have to, as unfortunate as it is, we can only assume that the site will continue falling apart, and there may not be much of a choice.

2021-11-13 05:10:41

And there's one big issue; the internet archive has a big problem with full sql database capture, so the historical game database data isn't exactly complete.

2021-11-13 08:10:58

If necessary, we could always go through and manually duplicate the game DB. But that would be messy

My Github

2021-11-13 09:57:13

@37 What do you mean Discord's down? I've been active on there since 8:00 PM, and it's about 3:00 AM now.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2021-11-13 14:17:14

@45.
https://reddit.com/r/discordapp/comment … o_discord/

2021-11-13 16:32:21

@Ethin: You'd be correct.
We have 829 (count'em, 829!) games in the db. That would require a few solid wound-the-clock days at least, realistically a couple weeks.
Moving the forum is, in theory, a cakewalk as there are punBB migration scripts for Discourse, and PanBB shouldn't pose too many problem with those. But while we can backup the game database we can't actually go in there and grab it.
Fortunately this is purely hypothetical at this point as we do seem to be moving forward on server selection.

2021-11-18 06:20:02

Thing is, if we go and duplicate the DB this would be a good time to actually look at the games and check which ones are even still available. Taking a quick look at the list, I do find a few games that have dead links or aren't even hosted anymore.
True, the AG archive has a bunch of games up there, but getting the DB cleaned up abit before migration would be ssomething we should keep in mind IMO.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2022-02-03 16:23:24

Hi.
Sorry for reviving this again, but a friend of mine said he registered about a week ago and hasn't gotten a response. Is someone still checking registrations?
Also, he said he clicked the special registration link and it was down.

2022-02-04 23:56:20

You're right, registrations are down on my end too. Not sure what's going on there.