2022-01-05 16:30:03 (edited by Jod 2022-01-05 19:02:53)

I installed commentary today after 7 years of using Talk Back and I am sorry for the me from 1 day ago. The poor thing had to use such a slow screen reader this is just like switching to NVDA from Jaws.  Commentary is much faster and has better features. idk why I'm even writing this here cuz there's no point but I guess I'm just bored ok thanks for reading bye.
Edit: Now that I'm not as excited as I was, this is not a recommendation post. Different people like different screenreaders, I only posted this topic out of excitement because my phone hasn't worked that fast for years.

2022-01-05 16:40:19

I love the idea of commentary. But the fact that it's so tricky to get a fully featured version, because you have to go through weird payment channels, is super annoying.

Discord: clemchowder633

2022-01-05 16:44:22

@2 Agreed but even the free version has more useful features than Talkback

2022-01-05 17:19:08

It is simply sending money by pay pal, a bit strange but it is not that difficult.

2022-01-05 17:22:11

Yeah, there are no weird payment channels involved anywhere. It's not automated, you'll have to wait a little to get it activated or contact the developer with your ID and username when changing devices to re activate, but otherwise it's just like buying an audiogame.
It should be automated, but I have no idea how much of that is / isn't possible over in China.
Anyway, instructions for purchasing for anyone who isn't in the Telegram group:
PurchasingCSR

Swipe down an right for the global menu, tap "Program Settings", scroll down to "User Center", tap on "Register", sign up for a free account by inputting a username and password (leave the third field blank).

Next, tap "Back" to go to the previous menu, scroll down to "Help and Feedback" select your payment method of choice (either AlloPay or PayPal), and then enter your payment details. Be sure to put your username and device ID in the "Notes" field.

latest plans :
it's $18 for one year, $32 for two yr, and $45 USD for three years.

2022-01-05 17:36:26 (edited by Jod 2022-01-05 17:37:39)

Assassin's creed fans, I just found an assassin's creed sound scheme in the resources page. LMFAO
Edit: There's also a Mortal Kombat sound scheme.

2022-01-05 17:56:04

My only slight disappointment, (and this is me being picky now) is that we didn't have a discount during Christmas. I couldn't quite afford it during black Friday, so paid full price.

2022-01-05 18:12:37

Post 1 is just a poorly executed trolling attempt. I'm surprised this topic has turned into a pretty serious discussion.

2022-01-05 18:13:22 (edited by George_Gaylord 2022-01-05 18:13:52)

@1, how dare you call JAWS inferior to NVDA?

EDIT

@8 was typing at the same time as me it seems XD

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2022-01-05 18:37:50

i agree, after i started using jieshuo (csr) i saw it with vast  heaven and earth compared to google talkbackk.

meet the eternal legend, accessibility group for games and applications in Brazil. main group to bring accessible games to the blind.
official website    
our discord server
youtube channel

2022-01-05 18:50:05

TB is actually not that slow most of the time on my pixel

2022-01-05 18:50:37

TB isn't actually slow, its the TTS that slows it down.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2022-01-05 18:55:35

If I buy the full version on one device, can I have it on multiple? Let's say I get a new phone or something in the future, will I be able to transfer it over?

My discord: the_real_amethyst
Join my accessible Pokémon discord server

2022-01-05 18:59:05

@JayJay since the last update of Talk Back, it started lagging for me and I've tried Espeak and Google TTS and it was slow with both.

2022-01-05 19:07:28

Android devices have different audio processors. Additionally, the more software amplification/dsp is needed to hide the fact they're using cheapo speakers (even in some premium phones) the more lag you're going to get. Running that on a device with subpar system resources eats up even more resources than average. The average customer isn't looking for low-latency 24/7 when playing music, getting directions from gps, etc. Games are a different matter, but serious mobile gamers get a premium handset, or so says the market.

2022-01-05 19:37:03

13, you can email the dev and request a license transfer.
As for talkback, no, sadly TTS makes no difference. I don't use google TTS or gBoard. I use swift key with acapela, and talkback is still considerably slower, and my talkback is amongst the more responsive ones in friend circles. Enabling reduce window delay announcement can also help it some, so can disabling anamations.

2022-01-05 20:00:16

disabling animations will make the device feel much faster, but this needs to be done from the developer options

My discord: the_real_amethyst
Join my accessible Pokémon discord server

2022-01-05 20:05:24

disable all scaling animations. 1. Window's anim scale, disable. 2. color anim scale, disable. 3. animator scale, disable. keep mobile data always on, off. 4. limit background processes, put no background process.

meet the eternal legend, accessibility group for games and applications in Brazil. main group to bring accessible games to the blind.
official website    
our discord server
youtube channel

2022-01-05 20:29:56

@5, all well and good unless you've registered previously and don't remember your password. I'm having that exact issue right now.

Discord: clemchowder633

2022-01-05 21:02:02

Did you already pay for the program?
If not, just register a different account.
If yes, contacting the developer would be the best idea.

2022-01-05 22:58:55

I think csr is miles better than talkback in most things, however it's rather convoluted and has a steep learning curve. I have been learning it for some time now, it's worth it, even if it's daunting. However, on my testing phone with android 5, the newest csr downloaded from github doesn't work at all, it doesn't talk whatsoever. However, if you're running android 5, proceed with caution, it's possible that csr may not run on your device, I had to downgrade after that particularly horible moment of huh, no speech.

2022-01-06 00:03:16 (edited by Ethin 2022-01-06 00:06:23)

CSR is noticeably faster than tB in all circumstances. Its like the M1 Macs: when you use them (well, without Voice Over) you get the feeling that they've finally gotten as fast as they should've been. With CSR you have a similar feeling: you feel like finally accessibility and your phone have equalized in terms of speed, and you finally feel like your experience is as fast as it should've been years ago. When I launch an app, its instantly available to me. I don't have to wait 2-3 seconds for CSR to do whatever it needs to do to let me navigate the app. I get it right away and without any delays. In short, I'm now experiencing Android as it really is, as a sited person would experience it, instead of me being far slower because of (what appear to be) artificial delays imposed by Google for some reason. CSR is also really fast at scrolling large lists; there's no lag other than scrolling another screen, which is understandable. And I get the feeling that I can eliminate that lag too -- I just don't know the precise gesture.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2022-01-06 00:37:07

@22 this is exactly what I have been saying in many Android VS iOS topics. I really wonder why this delay exists, why noone at Google is apparently bothered by it and why it has to be that way.
As someone said, disabling animations helps, but it's  still not same as CSR. Thing is, you absolutely shouldn't have to do that. A sighted person doesn't need to disable animations so that apps don't take 2 seconds to become usable.
As for scrolling lists, I've never found a way to fix that one unfortunately, neither large screens with Talkback nor multiple screens with CSR.

2022-01-06 01:15:10

@23, there has to be a way to do it. I can't imagine sited people don't have some way of doing it. I mean, most large lists have a search button, but some don't. And yeah, the artificial delay is just weird. I could never go back to TB, regardless of the flaws (or lack thereof) in CSR that I find; it would just feel awkward and super slow to me at this point. And I've only been using CSR for like a week. CSR is what using a phone should be like: fast and snappy.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2022-01-06 01:31:26

Just to confirm, this is where you get CSR releases if you don't have or want Telegram, right? https://github.com/nirenr/jieshuo/releases

Been meaning to switch to this for a while now, but the closed-source nature plus all the odd backchannels you have to go through have me a bit sketched out, especially given that accessibility services pretty much have access to everything. I'd feel a lot better if the source was open, or if it was scanned by Play Protect (although I know there are ways around both of those.) I know I slapped Spiel up on some Dropbox links and such in the day, but you could always build it yourself or get it from a friend if you didn't want to trust me not to slip something in.