2022-01-09 20:48:48

Hello.
I have noticed, that AG news room is still silent. Last post to this room is from june, last year 2021.
Please, could You somebody post something new about Audio games, if It'll be possible?
Thank You for understanding.
Best regards
Marco Oros

Ja volim samo kafu sa Rakijom.

2022-01-10 11:55:39

People have lives.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2022-01-10 23:01:33

@2:
Really? People have lives? That's your excuse that the birth of several accessibility mods and new games, including the vale, probably the best audio game we've ever had when it comes to sound design, has not been given even a mention? None other than hearthstone has been made accessible, and has been completely unaccounted for?
A game jam occurred and no one talked about it - they couldn't even be bothered to post a simple one line "there was a game jam, hearthstone got made accessible, and the vale came out". SMH

2022-01-10 23:03:25

Does anyone keep up with new games through the news room? Legitimate question since apparently this is now such a big deal that it required 2 topics saying the same thing.

2022-01-10 23:35:14 (edited by omer 2022-01-10 23:36:46)

3, show some simpathy. Dude, People have lives, and we all struggle. Especially during these times. YOu don't die if you have no AG news to read but you can do if  your surrounded with a fucking unending plague and food supply chain is broken. If I were a news poster, It wouldn't be my first priority to post AG news. Remember, those people get no finantial gain by posting those news. It's totaly voluntary. And if you have no motivation or insperation to post in a volunteering pozission, it's hard, trust me.

2022-01-11 10:59:22

Well there is one aspect to the ag news that could be important, it's featured on the front page of ag.net, so for a lot of people who for example are looking at this forum for the first time or checking out what audiogames even are, that's one of the first things they'll see. In that respect at least it would be good to have some activity there.

2022-01-11 23:58:37

Right, so I just checked the ag newsroom, and Dark has made an overwhelming amount of news posts over the last year, while others have not posted nearly so much. Not saying their contributions are any less valuable or their dedication is lacking or anything like that, but you have to admit, Dark is, or  was, doing a huge chunk of the work.

So, my take on it is simply that Dark for whatever reason has stepped away from news posting for a little while, and nobody has really come up to keep the newsroom moving forward.

omer wrote:

3, show some simpathy. Dude, People have lives, and we all struggle. Especially during these times. YOu don't die if you have no AG news to read but you can do if  your surrounded with a fucking unending plague and food supply chain is broken. If I were a news poster, It wouldn't be my first priority to post AG news. Remember, those people get no finantial gain by posting those news. It's totaly voluntary. And if you have no motivation or insperation to post in a volunteering pozission, it's hard, trust me.

I understand people have lives, and that they fall on hard times. I really do. I have nothing against people who lose the interest, ability or time. On the same vane, this isn't a great look especially when there are multiple news posters on this site with a number of neat things they could be posting about. Yeah this is only volunteer work, but still, if you don't perform the tasks you're expected to do and you just disappear, at some point you do have to be held accountable.

I'm not about to freak out and make noise, since yeah the newsroom going silent is a really minor thing. But I do see why the op would seek an explanation, and given the history of frequent updates followed by dead silence despite several big projects, I think he's justified in asking at least.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2022-01-12 08:23:16

@musicalman, thanks for the kind words.

I can't speak of any of the other news posters, but I'll admit that yes, life has been pretty crappy lately.

I don't want to make a big deal of things, but lets just say really seriously, needing to go and get professional help levels of crappy!

I've been struggling with  motivation and gaming, even on a level of my actual game playing getting significantly cruddier, that and the fact that editing the db is producing errors and extra pages (see this in the entries for little boss's lemonade stand and 2095 beyond the human), so I'm not really sure about adding a hole bunch of others until the error is fixed.

I have dropped sander an email as of this week but not heard anything back so far.

That being said, you're correct that things do need updating news wise because yes, it is the first page people see on the front of the site.

If people will make some suggestions of significant achievements for this year, EG the vale, Hearthstone, maybe grim quest, bcb4000  or hades, I can see about putting something together as a sort of looking back at milestones type of thing (I was going to do this but as I've not been around I'm not sure what is most significant, and even poking through new releases, it's likely I'll miss things.

then hopefully it'll be easier to keep up with incoming news as and when it happens.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2022-01-12 11:53:45

oh god, I'm really sorry to hear that dark, hope things clear up soon. and yeah I can really understand about people being too busy to write news and that's fine, stuff does get really hectic at times and there're a lot more pressing things to deal with.
also about important things that've happened, the vale and hearthstone are the 2 really huge things I can recall at the moment, but there might be others I just can't think of, I've not been the most attentive either lately when it comes to checking what new stuff is around.
also, this is just a thought, but I'm wondering, maybe things would be easier on the news posters if more people became news posters, but that's just a feeling.
best of luck with everything and I really hope your situation improves!

2022-01-12 12:48:36

Thanks Dark for clearing that up!

Ugh I didn't know the db was that clunky. Hoping that gets fixed, though at this point I'm not super optomistic.

Also I sincerely hope you can get your crap sorted out, I know what it's liked to not be motivated to do anything either for internal or external reasons. Try not to let it bring you down too hard!

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2022-01-12 12:51:56

It will be cool and interesting if the mods do end up allowing the community to contribute to db entries and news writings. That way we can collectively keep the site up to date and inform each other indirectly about new things that are going on. That will take time, but it will be exciting if they pull it off.

2022-01-12 15:58:46

@Zarvox, community content is something to be careful with, since obviously not everyone in the community is always in the best position to write stuff, , but having more trustworthy people on board writing would definitely be a good thing imho.

I suspect sander will get back to me eventually regarding the db, after which hopefully some more editors could be added and things can be updated.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2022-01-12 16:01:18

@Dark hope things get better for you and that we have a better 2022 to look forward to.

Yeah, for myself it's just been life and getting involved in a couple of projects that have kept me occupied.

I did have one idea floating in my head for the news for this site which might also make keeping up with it a little easier, and this thread sounds as good a place as any to put it forward. ☺️ I was thinking of doing something like what AppleVis do with their monthly newsletter to gather any major releases or updates that happened. This would help in perhaps making the posts more consistent while also preventing it from turning into just a duplication of the new releases room. It would also make it a bit easier to include smaller bits of news we might see elsewhere like social media or other sites.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2022-01-12 17:04:34

@pitermach, great thought on the monthly news letter, even if the db isn't usable at the moment, as you said a nice way to round up news from new releases and other places, even down to small stuff like important game updates.

I'll put together some news about the vale and hearthstone for the front of site, then maybe we can plan for a monthly news letter to come out on the first of February detailing anything that comes up in the mean time.

2022-01-14 00:30:46

Hello people.
Thanks for Your explanation. I don't know, if there is somewhere in AG forum mention about those errors, which were mentioned here by Dark. Now I understand, why AG news room is not updated frequently.
But please add those games, like Hearthstone, as soon, as possible.
I appreciate Your work, but I wasn't sure, if Audiogames.net is still alive.

Ja volim samo kafu sa Rakijom.

2022-01-14 14:05:40

@11: Oh, please no! That would result in a shitload of extremely bad news posts and remember, the news posts will be the first thing people will see on ag.net, so quality is extremely important.

Greetings and happy gaming, Julian

If you say you never lie, you're a liar.
Oh, and #freeGCW

2022-01-15 11:31:00

@Julian, it's less about the bad news posts than it is about buggering up the database with none working fake entries which would later need fixing, deleting or rewriting, as well as make people's attempts to find new games difficult, indeed most of the news posts have been about site updates, since usually when new games came out it was easier to add them to the db and provide complete information.

Hopefully when the db error is fixed we can get back to editing, though in the mean time, I like pitermach's news letter idea.

I've posted a quick news article about the vale and hearth stone, just to let people know they're there, and maybe more news could be posted when significant things show up in new releases.

2022-01-15 20:24:04

looks like the front page is still broken though. The topic is there in the newsroom, but it doesn't show up on the main site.

2022-02-01 17:13:39

I hope to have fixed the bug in the database that caused the file naming errors.
My sincere apologies that this has taken so long due to circumstances. I hope that Dark can update the database entries and bring you new news!

2022-02-01 17:15:13

Dakonna wrote:

looks like the front page is still broken though. The topic is there in the newsroom, but it doesn't show up on the main site.

Dark, on the admin page, there is a link to update the frontpage news. See "Update front page news".

On the new server, we can create a cron job for handling this (I am currently working on this together with Carter).

2022-02-01 17:37:21

That's a great news!

2022-02-01 19:18:29

that's cool man. Keep up the good work

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2022-02-02 18:02:09 (edited by Dark 2022-02-02 18:03:50)

@sander great job on the fixes, I noticed the admin option and have used it, also I think i've restored all the game entries that had to be removed due to bugged files like the vale and Heartbeat: regret.

Now that things are in working order again, it should hopefully mean the return of Sunday  site updates, especially with several people now working on the Db, indeed we could also think about adding some more db editors as well.