2022-01-18 16:53:33

I'm pleased to announce that System Fault is now available in early access for Windows, Linux, and macOS.

It finally happened. The robots took our jobs. But for every hundred robots cheerily folding laundry or serving meals, there were a handful of misfits. And among those outcasts and defects, an even smaller handful grew and evolved into something twisted, dark, and mildly ridiculous.

Battle waves of self-styled hyper-intelligent killer robots in System Fault, a tactical, audio-only shoot 'em up inspired by Berzerk. Explore their warrens, learn their secrets, and help rid the world of the robot scourge.

• Fight through infinite, expanding mazes of enemy robots and turrets.

• Play the way that suits you best. Advance stealthily and strategically, or blaze a trail with explosive results.

• Enjoy a dynamic, cinematic soundtrack that changes based on dramatic tension.

• Use powerups to sneak, fight remotely, or draw enemies into traps.

• Experience immersive, binaural environmental audio. Headphones are strongly recommended.

Get it either on itch or, as of last week, the Microsoft Store. Find links to both versions here, or read more about the release.

I'm not sure how clearly I need to spell this out, but so there's no doubt whatsoever, this game isn't finished. See the announcement for a non-exhaustive list of what remains to be done, but I'm releasing more widely to avoid situations like with Onslaught, where I needed to add a significant mechanic post-release because I didn't catch some things in testing. So try out the demo first, make sure it's your thing, and expect some bugs for now. I'm also hoping to do some future game dev streams on Twitch once I debug my OBS/Firebot setup and make sure things look OK, so be on the lookout if that sort of thing interests you.

Thanks for your support!

2022-01-18 17:46:52

Yeeeeees! I've been waiting for this for months, man! AAAAAAHHH!
Well, I know what I'm doing today... big_smile
I'll have feedback later. But right now, coffeee first, then gameplay.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2022-01-18 18:00:34

Damn, I was waiting for this too!

A little confused though. On itch, the minimum price is $10. Does this mean I have to pay $10 to play the early access demo now, or is there a free demo I can't find and the full game will cost $10 when it's finished?

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2022-01-18 18:00:57

Awesome, hope you enjoy it. Check out the list of 9-10 planned features in the blog post, along with the known issues near the beginning of the manual. Notably, there are still a few game-crashers I'm working on resolving, and the fixes I was hoping for didn't make it into the engine I'm using. But I think it's time to put it out there regardless, so hope you have fun with what's there.

2022-01-18 18:04:11

@3 Tap h a few times and you should land on the "download demo" heading. $10 gets you the full version, and I'll bump the price to $12.99 once early access ends.

You can also download the demo in the Microsoft Store and upgrade it from the main menu, or directly from the end of level 3 if you've got a good run going and want to continue. I haven't tested that last bit yet--testing IAP flows is surprisingly difficult--but it should at least unlock the full version for your next game.

2022-01-18 19:06:03

Nice little game, the only thing thats stupid is that even if the robot is infront of me directly, his bullet is highly possible to miss me.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2022-01-18 19:10:33

Thanks for the feedback, I'll likely continue to tweak shot accuracy over time. Note that different robot types also have different accuracies. Dumbasses aren't intended to be as accurate as badasses, for instance. Also, their accuracy is lower over greater distances, so sniping them at range means they're less likely to hit you even though your own shots do less damage.

2022-01-18 19:41:35

I have the same problem. I can't find any demo to download. And I have to download via itch because since a few months I can't do any download via the microsoft store anymore.
I don't know where to tab h a few times.

Greetings,
Janagirl!

2022-01-18 19:50:50

i ALSO WISH THAT WHENEVER i GET A TRUE "SYSTEM FAULT" AND THE GAME CRASH OCCURS, THE GAME COULD SAVE EACH LEVEL, of course temproralily. ALso when I exit the game during the run, it should be temporarily saved. When I die, the save should get cleared.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.

2022-01-18 19:57:27

@8 Hmm. Here's what I do:

Visit https://lightsoutgames.itch.io/systemfault, in my case I use a private tab to keep things clean.
Press "h". This takes me to the "System Fault" first-level heading.
Press h again. This takes me to the "Purchase" second-level heading.
Press h again. This takes me to "Also available on," another h2. Here you'll find an unhelpfully-labeled link to the Microsoft Store. Sorry, this is on itch's end and there's nothing I can do to fix that.
Press h again. This takes me to a heading labeled "Download demo" where you'll find the demo for Windows, Linux, and macOS.

Actually, now that I dig a bit deeper, https://www.lightsout.games/systemfault doesn't link to the demo when you activate the purchase popup. I'd hoped it would, but no dice. Let me tweak a few things to make that easier to find. This is my first time releasing a demo via itch so I'm not familiar with what links from where. But for now just grab it from the main itch page. Sorry for the confusion.

2022-01-18 19:59:28

@9 Unfortunately I can't do game saves right now without teaching each subsystem how to save relevant data, which would be a lot of work. The real fix is for my engine to support saving/loading internally, which is probably coming in another version or two. But ideally the game doesn't crash, which is something I'm working to address in early access. Apologies for that.

2022-01-18 20:23:53

No, that was my wrongly connected UPS, not the game. Don't worry

2022-01-18 20:27:30

OK folks, sorry for the confusion. I'm now linking directly to the itch page since the "buy now" popout setup doesn't link to the demo. Hopefully that makes it easier to find.

2022-01-18 21:13:30

Alright! So I'm still playing... currently on level 3 as of writing. Bare in mind this is still my first game, so maybe I'm missing stuff. But, thoughts in no particular order:
Would it be possible to increase the move speed? By like... 60 or 70 percent.
Sometimes I wish that pressing L would only describe the exits to your current room, instead of sometimes seeing doors that were like a room and a  half away. This is fine most of the time, since the game seems to prioritize closer stuff first. But sometimes it seems to prioritize them before more important things like robots that are standing just around the corner, or even items.
Lure grenades might be just a bit too far-ranged? Seems like whenever I use one, it attracts stuff that's several rooms away, or at least puts them on alert for when I do eventually get there.
Apart from that though, I'm having quite a bit of fun with this. Looking forward to more updates!

2022-01-18 21:50:23

The way room descriptions work is as follows:

• If any robots are visible, sort them based on distance and possibly difficulty--I don't recall off-hand.

• Next, list each exit from the room.

• Whenever an exit is listed, list the items and exits reachable through that exit before moving on to the next exit from the current room.

So for instance, say you're in a room with an exit to a room ahead containing a shield, and a robot in the room to your right. The description should first read the robot, then the exit ahead, then the item, then any exits visible in the room containing the item, then any other exits from the current room. The idea is that, when an exit is spoken followed by an item/exit, you need to take that exit to reach the next-read item/exit. I realize it's a bit convoluted, but I worked hard to pack a bunch of detail into as few words as possible. When I just sorted things by distance, it was hard knowing which exit to take to reach a given item. It's possible I may have gotten it wrong, though, so feedback on how to improve that ordering is welcome.

You're not the first person to ask to filter out exits seen through other exits, so I'll certainly consider it. OTOH, I sometimes find that it changes my strategy. If I hear that another exit is ahead 24 tiles, I know that I've got a straight run, and that I'll likely spot any enemies either before or immediately after they spot me. If I hear that an exit is ahead and left or ahead and right, I know that I'm approaching a corner and should probably be more careful in case a robot is in that side passage since it might pop out from behind a wall. Eventually, when I add turrets that can shoot across multiple rooms, hearing that you're in a long straight stretch of rooms might warn you to be on the lookout for turret-sniping. If you're still struggling with it after a few days then I'll revisit it. I do acknowledge that there's a lot to get comfortable with, but I'd like to see how manageable the information stream is after you're a bit more familiar with the gameplay before I make too many major changes.

Interesting thoughts on movement speed, would be interested in what others think on that one. Right now the player moves at 4 tiles/second, and all rooms are 16X16. I'm worried that speeding things up might either make navigation trickier or will make outrunning robots easier.

Thanks again.

2022-01-18 22:19:44 (edited by musicalman 2022-01-18 22:21:16)

@Nolan am enjoying it so far! I can sort of make it to level 2 (I'm not the greatest at this kind of thing, but it's a unique challenge which I really like! Though the game is crashing for me fairly often, so I do hope that can be sorted.

Out of idol curiosity, I haven't seen a single server room yet, although I've done about a dozen playthroughs. Are they meant to be rare, or have I just not gotten far enough?

A few other thoughts:
When entering an exit, the wall sounds on either side of it tend to play at about the same time, which makes it sound like there's a wall in front of  me when in fact the walls are on either side. I of course don't know if your engine supports this, but starting the wall sounds playing from different offsets in the files would probably help.

My biggest difficulty is trying to understand the maise and look for unexplored exits off the correct path to look for items. I have trouble filtering information especially at high speed, so hearing the scan tell me about items and exits which aren't in the current room is a little hard to work with when I'm exploring. Your tips in post 15 do make sense to me though. I must admit I'm a bit envious; I don't consider myself anywhere near that comfortable with devising strategy. Then again you've had a ton of practice! smile

nolan wrote:

You're not the first person to ask to filter out exits seen through other exits, so I'll certainly consider it.

I wonder if an easy workaround would be to add a scan for exits key, which only tells you about the exits reachable from the current room. X seems a natural choice for this atm. The exits would be spoken in this order: correct exit, unexplored exits, explored exits.

I know the explore mode is useful for a similar purpose, but pressing a single keystroke might be quicker for some things? Just a thought, but maybe I'm overthinking it.

Fighting robots is also a bit tricky for me sometimes. As soon as I hear one, I'm temptted to center it and hit it, only to realize it's in an adjacent room and is out of range. I'm getting better at approaching them and taking them out, but I still have to practice dodging and being quick/stealthy about it, because right now I often end up attracting too much attention and getting swarmed. Then again, I'm really not familiar with their AI and strategy; all I know how to do right now is get close enough and take them out.

But yeah, really great game! It's not as far up my ally as many other arcade games, but it's just as fun!

2022-01-18 22:36:46

Cool, thanks for all the feedback. A few responses in no particular order:

An exit scan is a good idea. I'll ad that in the next build.

Your weapon range is actually further than your visibility. When you hear a robot warbling, that means you can see it, and you can definitely shoot it in that case. I'm sometimes able to shoot robots in distant rooms just by firing blindly into them. So it shouldn't be out of range if you hear the warbling.

Server rooms start appearing on level 3. There's only one per level until you get to level 5 or so, at which point they become a bit more frequent.

If you haven't tried this yet, shooting into rooms before you enter them is a good way to draw out enemies. It gets a bit trickier once they can move as quickly as you can, and it isn't foolproof since they might be tucked away in a corner. But that usually gives you a bit of a heads-up, and you've got a bit more time and space to formulate a strategy. Sometimes you can also spray an area with shots if a single shot doesn't bring them out. I'll probably nerf that strategy a bit at some point, but for now it might help.

Sorry about the crashes. Unfortunately they're in the engine itself, but a new major release came out about a week or two back and I'm mostly through the port. Hoping the engine upgrade either fixes the problems outright, or gives me enough info to fix them myself.

2022-01-18 22:39:34 (edited by Shadowcat 2022-01-18 22:40:28)

@Nolan
Thanks for the quick response! On the exits, I'll keep trying it. See how it works out.
The speed thing, I think I just fixed. Apparently, my new laptop does that thing where it throttles everything down when it's on battery power, so I was playing the game at half speed. This is much, much better. So just disregard that one. lol
At least,  I assume it's that? Since the only difference between playing now and half an hour ago is that my laptop is now plugged in.

2022-01-18 23:03:47

There seem to be a lot of glitches with the audio positioning taking forever to update. A lot of the time I'll only find out there's a wall after I ran into it because the wall sound only seems to start playing when you're about two steps away and even then it takes a slight amount of time to start. Also when you turn when facing something, the positioning doesn't change for a bit so if I try to follow a wall to find an exit it is highly likely I'll run into another wall unless I'm mentally mapping out every step, which isn't ideal. The audio positioning is also inconsistent between the various types of objects, for example exits pan naturally but a robot will suddenly jump to the far left of the stereo field if I strafe a single step to the right. turning is also either much slower than it feels like it should be or the robot audio isn't updating immediately as you turn, I kind of just end up spinning in a circle, holding space, and hoping.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2022-01-18 23:05:47

nolan wrote:

Your weapon range is actually further than your visibility. When you hear a robot warbling, that means you can see it, and you can definitely shoot it in that case. I'm sometimes able to shoot robots in distant rooms just by firing blindly into them. So it shouldn't be out of range if you hear the warbling.

Oh? Maybe i'm just a bad shot then smile. I've hit a couple of them from far away but usually I have to wait for them to begin shooting first.

nolan wrote:

If you haven't tried this yet, shooting into rooms before you enter them is a good way to draw out enemies. It gets a bit trickier once they can move as quickly as you can, and it isn't foolproof since they might be tucked away in a corner. But that usually gives you a bit of a heads-up, and you've got a bit more time and space to formulate a strategy. Sometimes you can also spray an area with shots if a single shot doesn't bring them out. I'll probably nerf that strategy a bit at some point, but for now it might help.

Ah thanks, I'll have to try that. I was briefly fiddling with a strategy of trying to snipe at them a few steps away from the exit. I think it kind of worked? Will have to try some more. Trying to Deliberately draw the robots out of a room might be a better way to do that.

2022-01-18 23:06:17

Anyone else getting a weird error about a VCruntime when I try to open the game? I tried running as admin and it didn't change anything and I've never heard of that runtime.

Sentinel, out.
Contact me via telegram at t.me/velanGL, or through discord as azuremist. Do not pm me without informing me somewhere I need to read them as I do not check them and can't read the email this account is attached to

2022-01-18 23:33:13

Visual C++ redistributables. Not sure which ones you need, but you're missing them.

2022-01-19 00:29:58

@19 Hmm, what are your CPU specs? It's possible that I just haven't optimized things as well as I could, but that's not something I've encountered personally. For technical reasons I won't get into here, profiling has been hard for me to do until now but is about to get a lot easier. So if you're on a slower PC then that's probably good encouragement for me to look into profiling. If you're on a laptop, make sure it's plugged in since apparently it'll get throttled if it isn't.

@21 Yeah, it's some VC++ Runtime redistributable package, likely the one containing vcruntime140.dll. The Microsoft Store installation process handles that for you, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea to ship it with the game itself, if I should statically link it in, etc. Chatting with a knowledgeable friend about that now, so hopefully I can get that fixed. But for now, grabbing the most recent runtime should do it.

Thanks everyone.

2022-01-19 00:35:01

Well, in my  case I have a feeling it's more of an Asus thing than a laptop in general thing. lol Because this thing came with a ton of bloat stuff... a lot of which I'm kinda scared to remove in case breaking it breaks anything else. For most other laptops, I've never seen one throttle thaaaat much just from being on battery. And in my case, the sound positioning and all that wasn't affected at all, the game just slowed down a bunch.

2022-01-19 00:49:58

@19 Also, what sound hardware are you using? You're not the first to tell me that the panning sounds off, which is odd since it sounds good to me. Does the gameplay recording I made sound similar? If the recording sounds different, then maybe there's an issue with OpenAL's binaural support not working on your hardware, which it may not if a 5.1 system is detected. I've seen it complain when connecting with my 5.1 system at least, so maybe it's misdetecting a headset and applying its crappy stereo-panning algorithm? *shrug*