2022-01-19 01:29:14

Hmm. Listening to, and loving your recording Nolan. I just thought it was a quick preview teaser and not a full-on tutorial so that's why I didn't check it out earlier, but yeah now I'm getting a better feel for the game. I'm 12 minutes in and looking forward to the rest!

Part of my issues were stemming from the fact that I wasn't reliably understanding the health bar sounds for the robots. For some reason when I would hear a high zap, I assumed it was me hitting a wall and that the zap was playing at a random pitch. Not quite sure why I was thinking this tbh, but now that you demoed what hitting the robots from a distance sounds like and showed how to tell when they're hiding and how to bait them out, I think I'll be a lot better off now.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2022-01-19 02:09:30

I can't actually find the voice recording, where should I look for it? Also when starting out the audio problem seems to be okay but then gets worse over time (that or I'm moving more quickly later). The audio definitely only seems to update after I take a step and not continuously. I kind of wish I had full 360 degree turning, one key press seems to jump like 20 degrees so I can't always correctly center the robot.

I'm using a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 graphics card, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9880H CPU @ 2.30GHz (16 cores total) and I have 32 gb of ram total.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2022-01-19 02:11:44

Crap, yeah, sorry. I actually made the wall zap 2X pitch in the most recent upgrade, and robot zaps descend from 1.5X to 0.5X pitch. I did that to make all the sounds unambiguous. I may add that to the lists of sounds to change, since I can see that benefitting from being different. But once you hear a robot being shot again and again, I hope it's clearer. When I make the tutorial, it'll guide you through shooting your first robot, kind of like how Onslaught does with asteroids.

Sorry about that. I was afraid I'd have to change some big detail like that soon after making the recording. I'd hoped it'd be further off than a few days, though. tongue

2022-01-19 02:41:52

@28, no worries! After hearing your recording I was able to replicate your strategy at least on dumbasses. Not quite as gracefully as you do, but I totally get it now. I don't think changing the shoot wall sound is ergent or anything; now that I know the difference, it's not an issue for me.

@27, I have a few theories as to what could be going wrong, but I'll admit I really have no idea where the real problem lies or if I'm anywhere close.
First, try going into control panel > sound, then go to playback tab, find your sound card in the list and hit properties. Then in that dialog, go to advanced tab and go to the default format list. Depending on your sound card, you'll get different options there, so look for one that indicates 2 channels, or stereo, or something like that.

If you don't have that, then perhaps it's worth checking into your sound card settings to see if there's a speaker setup option.

The only other thing I can think of is that OpenAl isn't working properly. I'm not sure if System  Fault actually requires OpenAl to be installed or not. I have my doubts, but I did install it on this machine a while ago because I was having strange panning issues in another game without it.

2022-01-19 05:57:58

Okay, so after a little more gameplay, this one's something I just now registered.
There seems to be a bug where sometimes, if you snap to a direction, it'll actually snap the other way. But I have no idea exactly what causes it or how to reproduce it, sadly.
So for example, you're facing south. You turn left a few times, facing southeast. You hit control left to in theory turn east... but then you're actually facing south again.
I've had this happen a few times during just normal gameplay, but I can't seeem to consistently do it again when I try.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2022-01-19 06:49:53

Wow, I listened to your walkthrough and I'm definitely interested. I'm off to grab it.

2022-01-19 09:00:00

wow, this is interesting. Maybe different game modes would be cool as well, Like one campaign like one where you can finaly win and beat the game, so this mode has an ending. For such modes, bosses and the like would be cool as well.

2022-01-19 12:01:12

WHat programming language did you write to create this game? Its always interesting to know.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2022-01-19 13:33:48

I grabbed the latest version of the game tonight. Unfortunately, when I reached level 2, it crashed. I'm playing the Mac version.

2022-01-19 14:05:40

Given this a go. I like it, even if I'm not entirely sure where the robots are but I like it overall.

Not sure if I'm missing something or if,in the Linux .appimage, there's no way to tell when I'm close to a wall, easily?

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2022-01-19 15:13:52

@35 I can't speak for how the game works on Linux but, if you hear a harsh electrical zapping sound as you move, that means a wall is nearby.

2022-01-19 17:11:24

Hi nolan, this game so epic, I like this so much, and I will observe and test, how this development goes. By the way can you make your walkthrought make downloadable because I can not play this on my iphone, after hitting play it is silent.

2022-01-19 17:52:12

@37 Hmm, can iOS play .ogg files? I seem to recall that being an issue for macs, but my information may be outdated.

@33 The game is in Rust.

@29 Shouldn't be any need to install OpenAL since I ship it with the game. I'll see if there's an update, and if so then I'll include that in the next build. Otherwise, some good suggestions here. Check your spatial audio settings. 5.1 surround is supported and seems to work, but with that enabled I don't think binaural support is active, and that may be why panning is weird for some folks.

2022-01-19 17:55:08

Having played more...

I like it. I like the demo

Is the full game buyable for Linux? I may just support this since it's pretty good. I know the demo's got an .appimage, so hopefully the full game does?

Also on Linux natively

2022-01-19 18:17:39

@39 Yeah, the demo and full game are identical, save for the fact that the full game lets you play past level 3. No new content yet, just a progressive ramp-up in difficulty, more robots per room, more server rooms per level, etc.

Thanks for the compliment.

2022-01-19 18:56:42

Ios wont play ogg files from safari or other browser, but after downloading a file you can play it from vlc, also you can copy direct link to the file and play in vlc, but I can not copy url to your recording, because I see only a player on the page

2022-01-19 19:18:40

@41 do you have a more media controls link? If you click that, there should be a download button.

@nolan I'm really liking the intensity music changes, though I think the second track is a bit loud compared to the others. I wonder if the music changes affect the behavior in any way or if they're just for atmosphere? I'm sort of gathering that it's up to the player to figure that one out. Lol

2022-01-19 19:27:35

I iIIn safari I dont have but I have this on windows for sure.
Nolan thank again for this amazing game, this is nice, that somethink new is coming to our poor audiogames market.
I will purchase full copy soon and I feel that I will be addicted

2022-01-19 19:30:48

@42 The music changes do indicate things have changed in the gameplay. Speculating on those changes is up to you. smile

@43 The direct link to the file is https://www.lightsout.games/systemfault … railer.ogg Hope that works.

2022-01-19 20:13:41

Well,  this game rocks.
I never put it on my store because it was easier to buy it on itch.
Pluss if you buy it on itch you get all pc os types and its a portable app.
Being its on the microsoft store and it can be played on playstation aparently, does this mean someone could play it on their xbox 1 device?

2022-01-19 20:17:59

Okay, I think I figured out the thing I was talking about. It seems to apply only when trying to turn right when facing anywhere between west and south. Even if it's just a single press of the left arrow, if you hit control right to turn back west, you'll end up facing south. It doesn't seem to trigger at any other directions though, that I could find.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2022-01-19 20:36:49

@45 Thanks. No, it doesn't run on the Xbox. I'd like to someday, and I had a very buggy version of Onslaught that ran on the console, but there isn't a clear path forward for this title unless I can get into the ID@Xbox program. I'll look into it again, maybe once I have an established player base. For now the Microsoft Store release is mainly for Windows users wanting automatic updates but not using the itch app.

@46 Cool, thanks for the detailed reproduction. I'll see about a fix in the next release.

2022-01-19 22:10:12

I can't start the game. It just displays an unresponsive window which vanishes after a few seconds apparently. It doesn't make any sounds whatsoever. I'm using Windows 10 64-bit. I wonder if this is somehow a problem with my graphics hardware. By the way, this game requires purchasing, right?

2022-01-19 22:41:47

@48 It does require a decent GPU. Nothing substantial, but you probably can't run it in a VM, and while my desktop with integrated Intel graphics does fine, my 2010-era laptop is too old. Also, not sure what you mean by "requires purchasing," if you want the full game it does. The demo includes the first three levels.

2022-01-19 22:46:43

So quick question.

How would I go about changing the sliders in the Linux .appimage?

Arrows do nothing, I was gona up he speech rate and lower the music a tiny bit, and no luck. Did I do something wrong with it?

Also on Linux natively