2022-01-19 01:07:48 (edited by magurp244 2022-01-19 01:12:20)

As reported by [arstechnica]:

In an unusual turn of events Microsoft has moved to purchase Activision/Blizzard outright for 68.7 Billion dollars. This comes at a time when Act/blizz is currently embroiled in a work culture controversy, with its stock price hitting a low of 65.39$, although Microsoft is currently paying 95$ per share for this acquisition. This is not an entirely done deal however, as it may be subject to regulatory approval and review, and isn't set to close until Microsoft's 2023 fiscal year, which starts on July 1.

edit: whups, looks like I got ninja'd in the gaming thread...

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2022-01-19 02:02:15

Bobby Kotick will remain as Activision CEO

...and all my hope just died. Seriously. He's a CEO that knowingly enabled harrassment, knowingly turned a blind eye to it and didn't do a thing about it even when he did know, he was caught threatening to kill an employee

NAnd Phil Spencer preaches about inclusiveness and acceptance, when he said in 2021 he was shocked and disappointed by Kotick's actions. Yet MS turns around, and starts the process anyway. If MS do remove Kotick, it'll be a long, long time before the damage is done. Calling it a controversy is a huge, huge disservice to what's actually gone on while Kotick's been CEO

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2022-01-19 02:38:37

Not necessarily. There was an update about that:

Speaking to the New York Times' Karen Weise, Kotick would not confirm whether he would be CEO after the Microsoft acquisition, only saying that "post close, I will be available as needed."

I can't say what will or will not happen, though I think all those involved would obviously prefer the concerns raised by people about the work culture to be resolved. Following the acquisition, Microsoft may be in a better position to help with that and provide guidance and resources as necessary. Whether Kotick is still CEO or not, the goal would be to address those issues and improve cultural practices.

2022-02-02 02:22:24 (edited by magurp244 2022-02-02 02:22:32)

As reported by [polygon]:

The proposed acquisition of Activision Blizzard by Microsoft is going to be reviewed by the FTC. This is notable because the current chair of the FTC, Lina Khan, has been vocal about being harsher on big tech, and especially on potential monopolies. Two mergers have already been halted so far by the FTC, one with NVIDIA's purchase of ARM, and the other of Lockheed Martin's deal for Aerojet Rocketdyne.  While this may potentially make things more difficult, we'll have to wait and see how things will pan out.