2022-01-25 21:15:53

Hello everyone!

For this https://itch.io/jam/games-for-blind-gamers/results game jam I teamed up with Omer and made this game!

https://ericbomb.itch.io/symphony-of-soil

It's fairly complete but simple. You can farm, forage, fish, buy upgrades, make friends, even get married! (there are also two "special" endings but I don't think anyone has found them yet)

If you try it out make sure to listen to the tutorial and go over key bindings in the main menu. The readme is there if there is anything you can't figure out!

So I'm just wondering what you all think of this approach to a farm life simulator. It was heavily inspired by harvest moon games.

I probably won't turn this into a full game as the story was thrown together for the jam. But I'm curious what everyone's opinion is of the mechanics I tried out as I'm debating making a full farm life audio game! If the mechanics are well received I might take them forward and make a full farm life sim game.

Thanks for reading, let me know if you have any questions!

2022-01-25 21:34:39

hey eric, I'm not interested in this game, but can you highlight/link me to the teramon's latest news?

I am a hunter named Grunt. I didn't realize that until now.

2022-01-26 00:45:45

E-t-i-eloquence wrote:

hey eric, I'm not interested in this game, but can you highlight/link me to the teramon's latest news?

Oh yes, I changed the name slightly because I realized it was in use by another project, but it's here now!

https://ericbomb.itch.io/tierramon

Didn't update it this last month because this was a month long jam, but still working on it!

2022-01-26 00:58:44

Hello,
this is definitely a concept we really need and are missing, so it's certainly something that peeks my interest.
I will be checking the game out tomorrow and giving my feedback, but for now I just wanted to say that if you want to do so, developing a full fledged simulator is something many people would find enjoyable to play , as we have been wanting such a game for a while now.
Great idea.

2022-01-26 11:31:33 (edited by E-t-i-eloquence 2022-01-26 11:32:00)

thanks mr eric! I'm downloading the game right now!

2022-01-26 11:59:23

nidza07 wrote:

Hello,
this is definitely a concept we really need and are missing, so it's certainly something that peeks my interest.
I will be checking the game out tomorrow and giving my feedback, but for now I just wanted to say that if you want to do so, developing a full fledged simulator is something many people would find enjoyable to play , as we have been wanting such a game for a while now.
Great idea.

Oh well let me know what you think when you try it out! Since there are no examples of similar audio games I kind of had to guess on how I wanted things to work. Probably the biggest system I'm curious if it works is the navigation and crops.

There are 5 different crops, and each of them are related to a musical instrument so make a different noise. Then with standard navigation there is impact noise, and then lots of different paths/terrain to help everyone get around. So I'm mostly curious if the overall style is enjoyable/navigable.

Also I will say I did simply a few things. In something like harvest moon/stardew valley you have to go to "sickle" then "watering can", then "fishing pole" at water, then "pickaxe" when in front of a rock. When really based on what you're standing on it's pretty obvious. So to reduce menu work you pull the tool you need. If you're standing in a fishing spot and activate a tool, clearly you want to fish after all.

The cooking system is workable but too simple right now, so that'll need work. The foraging I like the idea behind, but I think I'll combine it with other things.

But I'm very excited to hear what everyone thinks of my first attempt at the mechanics required for a farm life sim game!

2022-01-26 13:03:08

So i think it allow me to plant, than shovel than water. which is not suppose to happen i assume.
When harvesting/ cutting down weeds, it doesn't tell you if you got anything. I guess its harder using Game maker to do it.

End of Post!
Leos signing off.
CFN ID: LeosKhai. (Always looking to fight people)
Discord: leos_khai

2022-01-26 14:13:53

hey eric, I've posted a comment on tierramon

2022-01-26 14:26:05

@8 can you please post on the relevant topic?
https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4222 … f-pokemon/

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2022-01-26 15:23:48

Leos wrote:

So i think it allow me to plant, than shovel than water. which is not suppose to happen i assume.
When harvesting/ cutting down weeds, it doesn't tell you if you got anything. I guess its harder using Game maker to do it.

Hi Leos!

So most likely what's happening is you're planting at your feet, then cutting down something to your left/right, then watering at your feet.

You don't get anything from cutting down weeds! on your farm you clear weeds for space, and while out foraging you clear weeds so you can get to harvestable and make it so more things spawn. So not sure what you mean by game maker comment!

2022-01-26 17:15:52

you should combine tutorials.
and I was'nt able to find my home :d

meow meow.

2022-01-26 17:31:44

PatrykK wrote:

you should combine tutorials.
and I was'nt able to find my home :d

Oh you start right in front of it, so going north gets you to it then pressing the activate key makes you sleep. I guess I didn't make that super clear, I always struggle with knowing exactly what to make clear. You'll also be teleported home once it gets very late.

Hmm combining tutorials isn't a bad idea. My main problem is I don't want it to be so long people zone out, or feel intimidated by  redoing them as needed.

2022-01-26 17:52:03

or make just getting started overall with all of this and additionally how do you do more stuf.

meow meow.

2022-01-26 20:23:03

oh harvest moon like thing, I love it! definitely will be very excited to wait if you are going to develop a game like that!

good day
togira
sorry for my bad english

2022-01-26 23:46:07

togira ikonoka wrote:

oh harvest moon like thing, I love it! definitely will be very excited to wait if you are going to develop a game like that!

Oh well best way to help is let me know what you think of the proto type! Is it fun? Do you like the mechanics approach? What information will need to be included in future games that I failed to add here?

All stuff like that is super helpful from anyone who has time!

2022-01-27 07:04:14

ericbomb wrote:
Leos wrote:

Hi Leos!

So most likely what's happening is you're planting at your feet, then cutting down something to your left/right, then watering at your feet.

You don't get anything from cutting down weeds! on your farm you clear weeds for space, and while out foraging you clear weeds so you can get to harvestable and make it so more things spawn. So not sure what you mean by game maker comment!

I was more talking about how it doesn't tell you which item you got after harvesting, it only tell you get item, the sound.

End of Post!
Leos signing off.
CFN ID: LeosKhai. (Always looking to fight people)
Discord: leos_khai

2022-01-27 07:08:56

Leos wrote:
ericbomb wrote:
Leos wrote:

Hi Leos!

I was more talking about how it doesn't tell you which item you got after harvesting, it only tell you get item, the sound.

Oh gotcha! So it gives you the sound related to the item, so bell peppers give you a bell, jazz apples give you a little jazz, ocarina yams play ocarina, etc. But you make a valid point! In a finished game making it so you can toggle on/off a voice telling you exactly what was gathered would probably be a great idea.

But yeah just assume Game Maker can do anything, and if it's not done it's because I didn't think of it! Game maker is very good at this, especially since I wrote some extensions for it and figured out some tricks!

2022-01-27 13:42:27

This is an awesome concept.Keep up the great work.

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2022-01-29 19:34:06

Hello.
I'll try this game. But, why this game isn't posted to New releases, but to developers forum?

Ja volim samo kafu sa Rakijom.

2022-01-29 20:49:05

@19 because it's just damn prototype.

meow meow.

2022-01-29 23:10:46

Yeah.
I have commented on this game at itch.io. Idea is great, but....
Just dear developer, check a comment section of Your game. I don't want to explain It here. I know, that It is still prototype, but idea is just great.
One strange thing is, that this game have been created in such things, as gamemakers, but It is just own thing of developer of this game.

Ja volim samo kafu sa Rakijom.

2022-01-30 03:28:02

spoilers ahead.
I have played and I absolutely love it! if you stopped working on this I would be very very sad. The only complaint I have is that I want an option, after a certain opint not to be transported autimaticly back to the farm, and I also think that the weed tool upgrade might be broken, but not sure if there is multiples of the same cost, I have to test this. I would love more content because this is awsome and the sound design makes me feel like I am actually there, at least a little. Also, thank you for no violence in here! smile

Who am I? Simply me!

2022-01-30 12:46:07

jescat277 wrote:

spoilers ahead.
I have played and I absolutely love it! if you stopped working on this I would be very very sad. The only complaint I have is that I want an option, after a certain opint not to be transported autimaticly back to the farm, and I also think that the weed tool upgrade might be broken, but not sure if there is multiples of the same cost, I have to test this. I would love more content because this is awsome and the sound design makes me feel like I am actually there, at least a little. Also, thank you for no violence in here! smile

Oh thank you so much for the kind words!

Making it so you can stay out later might be an interesting upgrade! I might also just need to make the length of days longer, since I kind of guessed since this was made in a short time.

I'm going to work on it for at least a bit longer, I'm not sure how long I want to work on it yet to be honest! But thank you for the feedback and bug report!

2022-01-31 05:12:19

Also, can I please know where the save file is stored. After unzipping this in two different locations, and deleting what I thought was the save file in the folder, I still can't restart somehow.

Who am I? Simply me!

2022-01-31 06:41:43

jescat277 wrote:

Also, can I please know where the save file is stored. After unzipping this in two different locations, and deleting what I thought was the save file in the folder, I still can't restart somehow.

Oh yes delete the file here:

C:\Users\*your username here* \AppData\Local\Symphony_of_Soil