2022-01-29 13:28:21

Hi all,
I decided I'm going to learn python, so I cna make programs, discord bots, etc.
However, I quickly realised that my typing skills need a serious improvement.
Basically the problem is that I put my fingers in the wrong places on some keys and I think this is slowing me down.
I may be wrong on that but oprobably not.
Also, I struggle more to type on this desktop keyboard than my laptop keyboard for some reason, I think this is because I have short fingers and the keys are spread out a little bit.
Either way, do you guys know of a website/program where I can sharpen up my typing skills and do a typing test? also, what's the best way  to get faster?

My main interest is tech.
Follow me on twitter if you would like, my username is @stealthy153

2022-01-29 13:41:48

There's nothing we can do about the keyboard size thing. Aside from that, I think you should practice and type a lot. I used to make notes in my school days on my laptop, and over time my speed increased.

There's no shortcut to get that speed you want.

2022-01-29 13:55:31

@2 is completely right. Typing a lot basically is the key to typing faster.

2022-01-29 18:21:46

hi you can use typing tutor softwares to improve your typing speed.
i recommend you to try rockey waters software it is very good.
for more details you can watch this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXYfuNdAX6w

thanks and regards.
Krantikari
visit my Youtube channel for technical related stuff

2022-01-29 19:29:53 (edited by George_Gaylord 2022-01-29 19:30:40)

The keyboard really has allot to do with it. I'm quite fast on my built in however whenever I have to use an old desktop keyboard from the late 2000s that's super mushy, with a different layout than what I'm used to my typing quality drammatically falls. I have short fingers as well, and I think due to my built in keyboard being much more compact versus the desktop layout its easier to reach things.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2022-01-29 20:29:39

@5, I agree, even though I have rather long fingers I can feel the differences from one keyboard to another. Many people just underestimate that.

2022-01-30 03:36:29

It hasn't really been mentioned, but for the sake of completeness, the "F" and "J" keys on most keyboards have small bumps on them. These are so people can place the left index finger on "F" and the right index finger on "J", as these are commonly referred to as the "home row". In this position a persons fingers should reach most keys on the keyboard, though your mileage may vary. If you find your PC keyboard to be a bit awkward or large for that, consider investing in a more compact one.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2022-01-30 06:43:32

Something to consider, and this may sound silly, but I wonder if the layout, as in UK, US, etc may have something to do with it. Not sure what they use in Ireland, I'd assume its something closer to the UK layout however with some differences for the Irish language, but some things are just easier laid out on the US keyboard, in my opinion versus the UK one. Maybe if you have the option of trying a different layout you may find it more natural. Not sure if that actually has much to do with it though but just a thought

_____

2022-01-30 07:45:30 (edited by DJWolfy 2022-01-30 07:47:02)

Hello,
I would also highly recommend rocky's typing tutor. It's very useful in helping to improve typing speeds. I can type at 140 wpm with not many mistakes at this point and I use a mechanical keyboard, laptop keyboard, and quiet  non-mech desktop keyboard at all about the same speed, so I think the keyboard doesn't have much to do with it, it's just about getting used to each keyboard you use. But, once you get better at typing, you can type at the same speed on all the keyboards you use after about 2 hours I would say, at least this is how it is for me
But yeah, TLDR use rocky's typing tutor, familiarize yourself with the layout and keyboard you prefer and just go with it. The only way to improve is to practice.
Also, I wouldn't measure my typing based on wpm speed, but rather a combination of accuracy and wpm. I would rather type at 50 wpm with 100% accuracy than 80 wpm with 95% because it really does come back to bite you.

2022-01-30 13:12:23

@8
Correct, Irish is extremely similar to the UK layout.
The only difference I have seen tbh is fadas which I doubt they're on the UK keyboard.
Excluding that, I can use the Irish and UK layout with out any differences.

My main interest is tech.
Follow me on twitter if you would like, my username is @stealthy153

2022-02-02 04:20:32

@9, I don't think that's entirely true. Sure, you'll be able to get used to your keyboard, however some keyboards will just be easier to use. I'm not saying run out and grab a mecha keyboard, god no, what I'm saying is some keyboards, like the one this is written on, are just harder/more irritating to use, either cuz its wayyyyyyyy too mushy, the key travel is horrid, or the keys are too big/small. Its like a tool. Obviously you can use multiple different variations of the same tool to complete something, however there is going to be one that you find more comfortable and better at doing the task than others.

_____