2022-02-01 18:02:31

@71:

Someone like Camlorn though knows very well what works for us. It's not bolting a mod on where a big company could go hey, mods bad, take them /all/ down (like Take 2 did with GTA3/VC/SA mods before the disasterous Definitive Edition launch and could well do with IV/V mods), someone like Camlorn would cater to blind gamers first, as opposed to oh look a tthe pretty shiny graphics and look at our ultra realistic textures. marketing however.

There's more than just WoW. You got FF, GW1 and 2, you got a shitload of MMO, some good, some bad, some that flame out spectacularly before even launching (New Worlds, anyone?), so to say oh  WoW is the only game in town is ignoring a hell of a lot of other games.

And beore anyone starts up the 'but ADA...' talk. If a publisher like Activision or Take2 wanted to take down all the IV/V mods including accessibility ones, they are rich enough to stall a legal challenge. Remember. They made a billion dollars off of GTA Online alone, and they rake in something in the order of millions and millions from their 2K titles too. So Take 2 can absolutely afford top notch lawyers and to drain the pockets dry of people less well off, or companies.

As ofr oh it'd be bad PR, uh...they make a habit of awful PR decisions and they get forgotten about in a week's time. If it happened, most Youtubers or media would just be ...and accessibility mods. Which is bad for all modders'

As in, they'd gloss over that point. Because it doesn't affect them at all

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2022-02-01 18:16:57

Someone like Camlorn? Funny. We all know who he is but who is Camlorn outside of the blind community? Will he be praised in the sighted, real world just because he created a pay to play audiogame that an amount of 40-50 people are going to pay for, in the whole, world? That's damn a little amount of people you know. Who is Camlorn so he knows what's good for the whole blind community? I know he's well respected but we are all people, on the same level, after all.

2022-02-01 18:24:50 (edited by Lucas1 2022-02-01 18:25:50)

Well, the goal is for more than 40 or 50 people to pay for the game I guess. Also... yes, if he chose to market it that way, he could absolutely get press outside of the blind community for setting up an MMO for blind people. Nobody has done the marketing correctly for that yet, but it might even be in Camlorn's plans for something like that to happen I'm not sure. I know he has mentioned taking advantage of things that no audiogame really does such as Google ads.

2022-02-01 18:31:50

Sigh. Yet more of the typical blind inferiority complex I've practically come to expect from a large subset of this community. What a lot of you people spewing the audiogames bad, half baked and only partially playable mainstream mods good rhetoric don't seem to appreciate is that pathetically trailing after sighted people in the vague hope of competing with them on their level will make you appear far more inferior than you otherwise might.

2022-02-01 18:40:44 (edited by camlorn 2022-02-01 18:41:10)

Camlorn has gotten 10k views on a blog article via Hackernews without trying and will consider his life a failure if hiss 6-figure salary doesn't start with a 2 sometime in the next 5 years.  I've done well enough for myself that I have to convince myself that retiring is more important than spending a million dollars on a home with a 200k down payment.  I've run a small company, and if I was willing to put up with a really shitty job and didn't need health insurance, I'd possibly still be doing that.  But importantly to this discussion that means I do actually know how to set up a small company and what kinds of things I need for e.g. copyright assignment.  My resume has 3 billing systems on it, which means I've even got that covered.  The biggest thing I have personally deployed and managed had over 200 TB of ram (it was a media transcoding cluster), and my current job gives me access to individual servers where we have to plan around the fact that our disks hit the AWS disk size limit and the individual machines have ram measured in the hundreds of gb.  I'm 30, my dayjob is more complicated than game programming, and I spent all of my childhood playing games while I had the vision to do so.  The biggest obstacle and why this project is going to take time is merely the fact that I've got a dayjob; the coding itself is mostly annoying and boring with the occasional really hard bit, but 20k lines of code still takes time and I only have a few hours a week.  You're not going to believe me, but if you start making the argument about me instead of the argument then I'm more than happy to punch back and let a bit of the arrogance out of the box.

This is why I try to push blind people down the coding path.

"complex game for the blind" is the kind of thing that gets tons of eyes on it just because of the wtf factor, and *any* social media campaign is better than what anyone else has done.

But that doesn't matter.  I'm not looking for penetration into the sighted world.  I'm expecting it.  There's a difference.  In fact I'd be happy if it never crossed wires with my professional career because it's the kind of thing that's weird and hard to explain and the whole "we are technerds, hire us" thing died out a long time ago in favor of being Mr. professional.  As for blindness circles it'll either be good and spread by word of mouth/being posted in all the blindness places I can find, or it won't, and who I am doesn't matter for that.  If I succeed, it'll succeed on it's own merits.  If I fail, I will have at least produced a bunch of reusable open source components.  And honestly whatever else you might say, pretty much any time this has come up I've been clear that I don't consider success a given either.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2022-02-01 19:03:30

@77 just LOL, @80 does know what he is talking about.

2022-02-01 19:32:09

@destranis I have defended your actions in the passed, but seriously, quit with that winy attitude already.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

2022-02-01 19:40:39

Lundin, my only problem and the reason I was whining is that there seem to be like three people in this community who believe they are above all of us and what they say is right, and if they are wrong, they still convince you about what they say is fine. If they'd tell the community to put their hands on fire for them, 80 percent of the community would gladly do so because these people, quote, know what they are talking about.
I never told that we should go right away and play mainstream stuff, I only said it's the future. Who else sighs and scrolls further if another clone is released? Who else sighs and scrolls further if another shootem killem 2d greatgame ohmygod goodgame veryveryverygoodgame is released? That's where audiogames stopped to be unique for a long time now. We don't want this kind of a future, right?

2022-02-01 19:43:30 (edited by targor 2022-02-01 19:45:08)

What has the one thing to do with the other? We're talking about a huge-scale MMORPG, not about a shooter clone.

Sometimes, as hard as it might be, it is simply the best option to just admit that there are some people who in fact know what they're talking about.

We are pleased, that you made it through the final challenge, where we pretended we were going to murder you. We are throwing a party in honor of your tremendous success. Place the device on the ground, then lay on your stomach with your arms at your sides. A party associate will arrive shortly to collect you for your party. Assume the party submission position or you will miss the party.

2022-02-01 19:45:15 (edited by Lucas1 2022-02-01 19:51:17)

In general no, we don't want that kind of a future. I'm not sure how this point relates to the current discussion though, since the Audio MMO isn't going to be a derivative shooter or a clone of Redspot. Also note where I and others said there are realistic and unrealistic accessibility projects. I love mods to games like Hearthstone and Slay the Spire, so to any potential modders here who have realistic goals and don't comprehend that I'm talking about Fortnite and things like that, that's what I'm talking about.
Edit: Another reason why your point makes no sense... do you think the people who are grabbing the Ultrapower codebase and putting it up on their home internet or a $5 VPS will be making mods anyways? Whether or not people make mods to games has no impact right now on whether these releases continue.

2022-02-01 20:06:14

@67, no one is going to buy things for A random person, you know that right?

"But did you, in your three-piece psychology and 1950's technobrain,
ever take a look behind the eyes of the hacker?  Did you ever wonder what
made him tick, what forces shaped him, what may have molded him?"

2022-02-01 20:06:22

@83, if the 3 people you refer to "thinks " they know better than everybody else, can you proove them wrong?

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2022-02-01 20:07:45

So if a person can actually back up their claims, it still follows that we should treat them with skepticism and mistrust? That is what 83 is saying and it makes no sense. Sometimes the mistrust and skepticism is warranted. We can say, hey, this person did X, Y, and Z, and we can prove it. Then we have the teen agers or people who act like teen agers that push things past the red line just because they can.

But what can we really expect from this person. They've always had a hard line attitude about things. Most of what they say is devoid of logic or reason. I don't take them seriously anymore, and neither should anyone else.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2022-02-01 20:10:07 (edited by Boo15mario 2022-02-01 20:10:33)

@83 try and prove your point and make a game and then come back here

2022-02-01 20:12:27

@68, What's so wrong with allowing people in the EU to play?
@73, The Manamon games aren't bad. They're just overpriced. For one thing, they don't even have voice acting aside from the intro thing and the guy who pronounces the names of the Manamon in the first game. I haven't played the second one so I don't know if that exists. A Heros Call is half the price and that's one of the things it has.
And what I don't understand is why the price of Manamon 1 didn't go down when the second one came out.
@83, Is there a reason you always need something to complain about?

2022-02-01 20:13:16 (edited by sneak 2022-02-01 20:17:11)

I only read the past couple pages of this thread. Kind of confused how this topic continued into what it's at now. Anyway, I don't really feel the need to defend my own stance on developing add-ons for mainstream games because it doesn't matter. If the advances made over the past few weeks aren't an indication of what can be done with the tools available, then there's no hope. I'm not a coding monster. I don't have years of experience. I knew the barest amount of lua, and yet I was able to make something that improved the functionality of the game for a blind user. At the start it was just a personal project, and then decided to make it something bigger. Now there's a player of my add-on who's made it through the tutorial zone, past level 12, completed a dungeon, completely 100% independent. Take into consideration that before even the best blind WOW players weren't able to complete any quests on their own. That's not even including the fact that the add-ons don't provide easy inventory or equipment management yet, which will be provided soon. As was stated in a previous post, coding takes time. Even if it's something easy, it still takes time and know how.
My point is, if I can manage this with my limited skill and knowledge, what can someone with way more experience do? That's not only applied to modding mainstream games. Someone like that could design an MMO easily. It's just too bad we haven't seen many in our community.

The universe is a rain storm. We are droplets sent to quench the problems of the world, yet we are blown sideways by the winds of distractions.

2022-02-01 20:23:32 (edited by Agent47 2022-02-01 20:35:22)

@91 just go on, I will play WOW with your addon whenever I can get my hands on it, step buy step, no one wants you to make it A groundbraking addon in 1 days, it takes time I'll give you that

"But did you, in your three-piece psychology and 1950's technobrain,
ever take a look behind the eyes of the hacker?  Did you ever wonder what
made him tick, what forces shaped him, what may have molded him?"

2022-02-01 20:31:14

Time and maximum effort. smile

The universe is a rain storm. We are droplets sent to quench the problems of the world, yet we are blown sideways by the winds of distractions.

2022-02-01 20:39:31

@90
The GDPR is almost impossible to comply with even for big orgs.  You have to do dedicated design/coding for it from the ground up to be in the clear, and it'll probably cost me money for lawyers etc. before I can officially launch there.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2022-02-01 20:48:10

So question. If post 1 got edited for content and name dropping, why is post 31 not also edited for reposting it as a quote?

thanks,
Michael

2022-02-01 21:04:43 (edited by Lucas1 2022-02-01 21:04:58)

The post wasn't edited by admins in the first place. The guy pussied out and edited his post.

2022-02-01 21:37:43

Sigh. Most of the replies that I got actualy ignored most of what I was trying to say, it doesn't matter though. I'd say a lot of things yet but I won't waste my time with people who can't see further than their nose. It doesn't apply to everyone here, and I won't even say names, but sometimes it's better to stay silent, you know. smile

2022-02-01 21:47:50

If we ignore what you say, it's generally because you make points to try and support your argument that aren't relevant to the conversation being had anyways.

2022-02-01 23:06:43

@95. I don't the issue is so much the name drop, the issue is the fact the OP decided to make sexual jokes about a  minor

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2022-02-01 23:33:25

@99, Of course that's more of a problem, but the fact that OP did the name drop still isn't ok.