2022-02-04 02:26:30

Most people have no idea what Linux means, even though it powers something close to 90% of the Internet. I know someone who asked me with a straight face, "What's Windows?" I can understand "What's Linux?", but Windows? Then again, not everyone cares about computing.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2022-02-04 04:43:08

@26 is right not everyone is going to care enough to know what os they are running just as long they know how to get their job done.

2022-02-04 09:07:13 (edited by Origine 2022-02-04 09:07:48)

Personally, if it were to come down to between Microsoft and Linux, I'd prefer that Microsoft prevailed tongue. That said, it will never happen.

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another. ― Lemony Snicket

2022-02-04 15:58:59

It's really very simple though.  Microsoft sucks at servers. Linux sucks at desktop.  End of discussion.  And yes I know Linux is about to get defended but there's also the ecosystem to consider: how many videogames and apps run on it? Etc.  Pretty sure Linus was using a macbook at one point despite being the lead dev.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2022-02-04 17:50:14 (edited by Chris 2022-02-04 18:14:50)

I'd like the Linux desktop a lot more if Orca got a lot better and desktop environments were more accessible. Sadly, Microsoft commands a significantly large share of the computing industry whether you like it or not. I like macOS, but Apple has demonstrated they don't care about the VoiceOver experience as much as they used to. Chrome OS is interesting, but it's not meant for everyone, particularly those with more advanced computing requirements. It's the OS for the masses who don't know or care what Microsoft Windows is and just want to go on social media, Netflix, etc. It's also quite accessible which is cool, but I couldn't use it as my daily driver. Hell, most might not even know what Chrome OS is. I talked to someone who simply said she had a Dell computer. I assumed Windows, but oh no, it was a Chromebook.

All that being said, Microsoft isn't going to kill their competition. They've successfully convinced millions of people that their devices aren't compatible with Windows 11 and as such have boosted OEM sales for new devices. How convenient they announced and released it right before the holidays, eh?

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2022-02-05 03:44:51

"How convenient they announced and released it right before the holidays, eh?"

They announced it in June: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperi … ndows-11/. It became generally available in October.

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another. ― Lemony Snicket

2022-02-05 04:24:27

<sarcasm>
I mean, I'm pretty sure Flag Day or something is in June, so he's not wrong!
</sarcasm>

2022-02-05 05:40:11

The sad reality is that that is sort of true, if you consider the fact that many folks who wanted/needed new machines during the holidays were kind of forced to order in October anyway because supply chain shortages. Sure enough there was a parts shortage at about the time of the holidays - even something as simple as a battery replacement was backlogged. At best it was massively unfortunate timing, and at worst it was the oem's making up for the fact they lost out big-time with damn near everyone being able to upgrade to windows 10 for free, so they took a page from the planned obsolescence playbook, if not nearly as aggressive as Apple. Mind you, a lot of machines that got the Windows 10 upgrade - i.e. the 4GB ram i5's from Walmart - clearly couldn't handle it, so neither extreme was necessarily the right path.

2022-02-05 06:27:11

At the moment, no one can predict the supply chain at all period, and that's been true for at least a year.  I'd not read into it beyond that.  The Windows release date was probably set 6 months in advance min, with a chance that it was set as far back as before Covid.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2022-02-05 19:25:38

With Linux on ChromeOS, you *can* do some more advanced stuff, but it'd better be in either the CLI or simpler GUI apps or Orca will freak out when you switch windows, or a new window in the app opens.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2022-02-07 20:44:35

Well. it's the company which created by lovely Cow Gates. Even Windows itself spies our activities. Once i've tried shutting down suspicious applications then got tired in the end.