2022-01-31 23:18:00 (edited by dardar 2022-01-31 23:19:07)

Hello!

I am pleased to be able to bring you Scramble, the newest game that I made in my spare time.
Scramble is a word and number challenge game that takes inspiration from the UK TV show Countdown and theFrench TV show Des chiffres et des lettres.
the main game contains 9 rounds, 6 letter rounds, 2 number rounds and a single anagram round.
Each round has 30 seconds for you to complete the challenge.
Can you beat all three difficulty levels against the computer and have hours of fun in this mentally challenging game?

Download here: https://nathantech.net/products/games/

Nathan Smith
Managing Director of Nathan Tech
It's not disability
It's ability!

2022-01-31 23:41:54

Oh, cool! I watch this show every evening, and I was thinking about if there was a game for that. Thank you Nathan, this should be fun!

2022-02-01 04:00:48

Hi Nathan,
first of all congratulations on another great release.
While I never heard of the UK TV show before, here in Serbia we have a very similar one as well with a few differences, and actually it's one of the games I wanted to see for a long time.
From my quick testing, this seems to be working really well. I'm not sure yet if I am a fan of the way the numbers game is set up though, why not allow us to simply type the numbers just like we type the word? This way having to do alt 1 to alt 6, you have to remember the exact position a number is in, and yes you can always just check that in the edit field, but you have 30 seconds and you are kind of in a rush. At least, if possible, do something like shift plus a number to announce the number that is in this position, for example shift plus 2 would announce the second available number, and then alt plus 2 would type it into the equation.
Also, would it be possible to allow something like escape to quit a game that is in progress, in case you aren't really happy with how you're doing so you can just restart and try a different game?
Finally, do you have plans to make this multiplayer via an online server? That would be extremely cool.

2022-02-01 04:03:44

Hi

@3 The escape idea is a good one, though for now hitting alt f4 will do the same smile
Regarding your suggestion on shift 2 announcing numbers, if you press 2 without alt, the program already does this smile

Regarding an online version I'm honestly not sure! Would be nice, for sure!

Nathan Smith
Managing Director of Nathan Tech
It's not disability
It's ability!

2022-02-01 04:07:32

Yes, I was about to  edit my post to reflect just finding out about the thing with numbers, but your response was extremely quick! smile
about alt f4, of course. What I meant was just a key that would return you to the main menu instead of closing the entire game and re opening. Not a huge deal though, just something on the list of minor things to do.

2022-02-01 15:45:47

Congrats for releasing such an awesome title, keep it up. By the way, even the beginner AI in the numbers round is way too overpowered as are the numbers themselves; how would I have guessed that I should have multiplied some 3-digit number by 25 then divided by 7 to get the actual answer with but 30 seconds to guess everything?! As for the letter rounds, I can manage to beet at least the beginner AI but even that thing guessed some words I never knew even existed in the dictionary, which makes me wonder whether less advanced AIs can or cannot commit spelling mistakes, simply turn no word in at the end of the time or give a non-existent word as an answer, the latter being off the table (I think) since it's hard training an AI from scratch to coherently make out words that look like options a human could give when confronted with letters they can't get out words from.
BTW there was - I believe - a bug that needs fixing: when you're given the buttons to choose letters from and you don't press the "vowel" or "consonant" button within 30 seconds (the time actually given for thinking of a word) then as soon as you're done picking your choices your time is up and the Ai will come with its answer while your time didn't even start.