2022-02-04 00:56:48

Hey all.

right now I'm paying for Spotify. But given all of the issues, I figured I'd at least look at other services. I'm using them on Windows with NVDA, and the Amazon Echo, and that's it.

Spotify:  Works pretty well. But pays artists shit apparently, although do any other streaming services do any better?

Amazon Music:  I had this for a while, but the Windows app seemed a lot less accessible than Spotify's. You can't do nearly as much with it, at least, I couldn't, and I use the thing pretty basically. Like it was hard to search for stuff, and hard to figure out what song was actually playing and get info on it.

Apple Music:  If you need iTunes to access this on Windows, no, because iTunes on Windows blows goats.

Those are the services I know about. If anybody's got any others or recommendations, or if there's a way that Amazon's music is secretly more accessible than their IMO terrible Windows app, I'd love to know about it. Otherwise, I guess I'll just keep giving Spotify money.

2022-02-04 01:37:55

every music streaming service pays artists shit, at least that's what I can gather.
spotify is accessible anywhere where it's a vailable so I'd stick with spotify myself to be honest

kind regards and have a nice day,
marro

2022-02-04 02:10:08

yeah they all pay them shitty amounts. I kind of prefer to get my music from bandcamp or if I can get them in a disk format. However I am stuck with spotify because it is convenient to stream my music from spotify as I have started their first.

2022-02-04 02:40:43

Oh, don't get me wrong. I buy stuff. I buy CDs from one of our awesome local record stores. I buy mp3s from Amazon sometimes. I buy stuff on Bandcamp pretty regularly.

I signed up for a streaming service mostly because I got an Echo and I wanted to be able to yell at it to play things, although that's hit or miss. For instance, I have Spotify set as my default player, and it really seems to have problems finding playlists. If I search for "rock organ" on the PC, it finds a playlist called "Rock Organ Solos", first result. If I tell the Echo to play playlist rock organ on Spotify, it finds absolutely nothing. Even if I'm specific, I just tried now saying "play playlist rock organ solos on Spotify", it said, "I'm sorry, I couldn't find the playlist rock organ solos on Spotify".

So that's pretty damn annoying. It does better with groups and albums, thankfully, provided you're doing stuff in English anyway. If it's not, sometimes spelling them helps, but sometimes, the only way to get something to play is to bring it up on the PC and send it to one of the Echo devices. Other than that, the PC app seems pretty accessible, and it kind of works on the Echo. I just figured, what with all the issues coming up, I'd see if there was anything better, either in terms of accessibility or musician pay, or both I guess. Sounds like there isn't really.

2022-02-04 04:41:45

yeah, I use my phone and cast my music over to the echo that way too does work as well. I can send my music over to my tv and all of my echos at the same time.

2022-02-05 16:29:19 (edited by Kevan 2022-02-05 16:30:31)

Off topic, but I'd cast my music from my iPhone to my Echo device using Spotify more often if my phone's volume wasn't hijacked by the app. When I'm using Spotify on my phone playing to another device, VoiceOver speaks just as loud as the other device. So if the other device is at a moderate level, and I'm trying to be quiet with VO, I can't because when I turn my phone down the other device turns down. Highly annoying, especially since it also does this with Spotify on PC. Hijacks my iPhone's volume controls when listening on my PC.

2022-02-05 19:01:34

blame apple for that. VO tends to match the volume level of what ever speaker when you cast over to another device. On the other hand with TB on android I don't have this issue do to having an accessibility volume.

2022-02-05 19:34:02

Don't forget youtube music... I have both Spotify and youtube premium and find I don't need anything else. People can have their issues. I love spotify and won't change unless artists I personally listen to and follow start removing their stuff. Ridiculous stuff going on imo.

Discord: clemchowder633

2022-02-05 23:41:35

At least for me on the Echo, if I tell it to go to that device, it's on that device. I can literally close Spotify after I tell it to connect to the Echo.

Re: issues

I'm more concerned with artists getting paid than anything else. I tend to just buy stuff on Bandcamp and download and play it that way, so I don't worry about their streaming so much. I can't see the point of paying for Youtube music on top of Spotify, unless Youtube's got stuff Spotify doesn't, which I doubt. Amazon Music is slightly cheaper, but not as accessible on PC, which is why I didn't go with it.

2022-02-05 23:59:17

Of course YouTube Music has content Spotify hasn't. It's literally pulling from the largest single collection of publicly available videos ever. It'll have every user-created remake and re-upload of any piece of music. That's why I barely call it a service of its own, and the subscription for it is just a part of YouTube Premium. But I seriously don't understand why you'd pay for both Spotify and YouTube. I mean yeah, Spotify has some nice features and integrations that YouTube Music doesn't (only being a web player on desktop) but that's gotta be harsh on the wallet!

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.

2022-02-06 00:50:57

The problem with Youtube music is that it's... well, Youtube. Common sense should tell you that it's gonna be full of low quality content. I do have Youtube premium however, but only because ad removal and the ability to play on the lock screen without fucking around with modified versions of the app that may or may not kick the bucket tomorrow. I pay for Spotify, too.

2022-02-06 17:45:31

Have you tried Pandora and Iheart radio?

2022-02-06 19:12:30

neh, they both suck when looking for specific songs. like spotify can and apple music and amazon music can.

2022-02-06 19:14:39

Pandora also has bad audio quality when compared to Spotify.

2022-02-06 22:56:21

I have to also say that @14 is right spotify for the win

2022-02-07 04:44:50

I've tried Pandora, and I've found cool music on it. My big issue with it is that all it seems to do is that randomized thing. It also repeats itself pretty frequently, i.e. it will hit a point where it runs out of new things to suggest, and at that pint, whatever playlist it's come up with will just loop.

iHeart radio was inaccessible garbage, last time I checked. I play Classic American Top 40 on the Echo sometimes, because Casey Kasem was the man and his stories are legend. But for PC, nope, never did work for me.