2022-02-04 11:18:17

As said in the yesterday's event,
the FLutter2.10 puts the Windows builds production-ready. WHat's more, Canonical (the developer company behind Ubuntu) announced that Ubuntu's installer will be rewritten in Flutter. What that means for us is a high probability of continued increasing of accessibility, as Ubuntu devs seem to care more about it.
Unfortunately due to my health, I wasn't able to listen to the event directly, but what I heard seems very promising.
https://medium.com/flutter/announcing-f … 79d0d01fed

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2022-02-04 15:12:23

Does this include accessibility? Did they fix the textbox bugs?

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2022-02-04 16:27:00

I haven't tested yet, but I am afraid they didn't, as the bug I described happened to me at the latest master at the time, and since you asked Chris Norman to do something about it I thought that he's one or the dev or a person very close to them so I didn't put an issue. I will test it when I get better though.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2022-02-04 16:56:16

I asked Chris Norman if it was reported, because he's actively working on it. He does have an issue outstanding, but it's a different issue.  He's not close to the devs, he's just the one responsible for making everyone here care.

My Blog

2022-02-04 17:19:03

Oh Christ, really Canonical? Well, be prepared to not be able to install new versions of Ubuntu.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2022-02-04 17:55:30

@5
It's done or almost done.  Iirc Linux landed a while ago.

My Blog

2022-02-05 11:45:58

btw flutter and accessibility, the only thing I can say is that the linux a11y story is kinda the same as it was for windows in the beginning, only objnav or orca flat review can read something, plus the a11y tree seemns to remain stagnant even though ocr tells me otherwise, the changes reflect to orca only when I alt+tab in the window. Oddly enough, it seemns my screenreader prototype thingy works a bit better with it, in the sense focus seemns to move through focusable elements more often than with orca, even though buttons that have a tooltip in stead of an actual text widget don't get announced. With orca, it doesn't move at all, I wonder what the hell I put in my concoction to allow it to work with flutter apps, gods but that code is so awffle to look at...good we're done with prototypes, gonna scrap all that away.
anyway, if canonical is truely gonna make their ubuntu installer with flutter and a11y didn't get fixed, I think we would be stuck on outdated versions of ubuntu for a long time, time to move to arch or something.

2022-02-07 23:48:09

@2
Nah, unfortunately the accessibility is still a little odd. I think it'll be fixed eventually, but there's still a ways to go.

-----
I have code on GitHub